Propagation of chimera species

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
rgiesecke

Propagation of chimera species

Post by rgiesecke »

Does anyone have any experience with graft propagation of chimera species? I know some are more prone to reversion to their component species than others are... what are the main influences to that effect? Rootstock, light intensity, watering schedule, all of the above? For example, pupping on a Myrtillocalycium tends to be reverted to Gymno pups, but my plant was successful propagated as a chimera by a horizontal graft. Is it "the right push" or just luck whether new growth points come in as chimera growth?
Attachments
Myrtillocalycium
Myrtillocalycium
image.jpg (34.57 KiB) Viewed 2181 times
"Horticulture, after all, is a mode of articulating and feeling time."
snarfie

Re: Propagation of chimera species

Post by snarfie »

Well, i also have a myrtillocalycium, and it partly reverted back to gymno. As far as i know it never reverts back to myrtillo. I cut all the gymno growth off, so only areoles with myrtilo remained(at least partly green areoles). Two areoles sprouted, and both had chimaera growth. On the last photo you can see how much i cut off to force the plant to make chimaera offsets
Attachments
IMG_20150612_074321.jpg (28.82 KiB) Viewed 2162 times
Side
Side
IMG_20150612_074245.jpg (34.16 KiB) Viewed 2162 times
Front
Front
IMG_20150612_074229.jpg (37.22 KiB) Viewed 2162 times
Young professional amateur in Schlumbergera and Rhipsalidopsis growing and hybridizing
Onzuka

Post by Onzuka »

Well I've done a few grafts in my time, but never had a chimera. Then again, I've never used Myrtillocactus stocks and Gymnocalycium scions. Perhaps these are more prone to the phenomenon.

Steve
snarfie

Post by snarfie »

I've read that chimaera's are extremely rare to happen. As far as i know the known graft chimaera's are ortegopuntia cv. Percy, myrtillocalycium, hylocalycium and stenogonia
Young professional amateur in Schlumbergera and Rhipsalidopsis growing and hybridizing
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

I grafted a 1 month old asterias seedling onto a hylocereus stock in 2006.
It turned to a hylocereus/asterias chimera as shown on the photo.
The life was quite short and it had gone.
rgiesecke

Post by rgiesecke »

I just got a Stenogonia that appears to be trying to put on reverted growth. I ended up posting this question while wondering if I should regraft the stable chimera portion as two horizontal scions, or just give it time.
Stenogonia
Stenogonia
image.jpg (38.31 KiB) Viewed 2138 times
Also, got this one from the a seller in the Czech Republic this spring.
Astrophytum caput-medusae + Ferocactus glaucescens
Astrophytum caput-medusae + Ferocactus glaucescens
image.jpg (54.11 KiB) Viewed 2138 times
Hanazono wrote:I grafted a 1 month old asterias seedling onto a hylocereus stock in 2006.
It turned to a hylocereus/asterias chimera as shown on the photo.
The life was quite short and it had gone.
At least you got photos while it lasted. Thanks for posting.
snarfie wrote:On the last photo you can see how much i cut off to force the plant to make chimaera offsets
Reassuring to see that it did eventually work though. Appreciate you sharing your experience.
"Horticulture, after all, is a mode of articulating and feeling time."
snarfie

Post by snarfie »

That astrophytum+ferocactus is also often sold as an astrophytum hybrid, so i am not really sure if it actually is a chimaera, that's also why i didn't put it in my last post.
what i would do: cutting of reverted growth and regraft that part. Because i don't know about the horizontal graft. You could also do both btw.