Mertzi graftlog 2015

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Onzuka

Re: Mertzi graftlog 2015

Post by Onzuka »

With the T. pach, I'd advise patience. I have had them do very little in their 1st summer as grafts and then take off in the 2nd one. It also would not hurt to let your stocks get a bit bigger before using them.

Steve
Mertzi

Post by Mertzi »

Thanks, I'll try and keep it on and we'll see what happens!
I can indeed be quite impatient :P How tall do you think the stocks should be? 10-12cm is about the tallest I can fit in my tiny humidity chamber in order to keep any margin for growth of the scion.
Onzuka

Post by Onzuka »

Mertzi wrote:Thanks, I'll try and keep it on and we'll see what happens!
I can indeed be quite impatient :P How tall do you think the stocks should be? 10-12cm is about the tallest I can fit in my tiny humidity chamber in order to keep any margin for growth of the scion.
10 to 12 cms is about what I use, but I allow them to grow twice as tall as this before grafting. I can then cut 10 cms off for a good sized cutting. This has the advantage of giving you a thicker stem to graft to. Pereskiopsis grows so fast when the conditions are right, its only a few weeks difference to grow them taller.

I do know grafters who use very tall Pereskiopsis stocks and tell me that I should use taller ones. Their reasoning is that you need lots of leaves to pump up the scion and short stocks just don't have enough. I only leave them on Pereskiopsis for 1 or 2 years anyway, then either re-graft onto a longer term rootstock, or get them onto their own roots.

Steve