Degrafting from a small piece of rootstock

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
HP22B

Degrafting from a small piece of rootstock

Post by HP22B »

I received a new cactus today and although it was listed as 'degrafted', it is clear that there is still a chunk of the rootstock attached to the base of the cactus (maybe a quarter of an inch or so of some type of columnar stock). What's the best way to get this off without digging into the scion? Should I just forget about it, or is it more beneficial to remove the remaining rootstock?

Thanks for the help.
gemhunter178

Re: Degrafting from a small piece of rootstock

Post by gemhunter178 »

Would Hanazono's thread on degrafting help?
http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... 22&t=34104" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

I think it depends upon the type of grafting stock, means permanent stock or non-permanent.

Non-permanent stocks such as Hylocereus and Pereskiopsis
The stocks will die and roots will come out from the scions naturally within several years.
All event will be happened naturally and you do not need to do anythings.

Permanent stock such as Myrtillocactus and Harrisia
The stocks will alive for 10 years at least but roots will not grow from the scions naturally.
The stocks will turn to the woody appearance.
Some old scions are difficult to root.
If you accepted 10 yeas life, you can keep it as it is.
If you aimed longer life, you will remove the remained stock and root the scion next spring.
HP22B

Post by HP22B »

I did read through the degrafting thread, it just looked a little tough with the small piece of stock left.

The stock looks to be possibly a Myrtillocactus or Echinopsis but it's hard to say. I'll try cutting around the vascular bundle and allowing the wound to heal so the scion will start to root eventually, I just don't want to damage actual scion tissue (too badly).