Grafting Progress

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
HP22B

Re: Grafting Progress

Post by HP22B »

Sure I would definitely trade come springtime. As it stands now it appears the three grafts all took very well. I have them in their humidity bags still and will keep them in there for another two weeks to make sure they can make it on their own. I'll get some pictures of them soon.
HP22B

Post by HP22B »

Here's a small update.

Comparison with seedmates:

Ariocarpus retusus v. furfuraceous:

Two different Lophophora alberto-vojtechii:

The Lophs are pretty dark but I'm keeping them humid and hopefully they'll pull through. The unions on all of the grafts look pretty solid. The new grafts were all done on 12/30/2014.
snarfie

Post by snarfie »

the l. alberto grafts look fine to me. nice grafts btw
Young professional amateur in Schlumbergera and Rhipsalidopsis growing and hybridizing
Driller64

Post by Driller64 »

Nice grafts! My loph graft is just beginning to put out a main body from in between its cotyledons because Opuntia is not Pereskiopsis and doesn't grow as fast as possible. But it's certainly growing a lot faster than it would be on its own roots at least.
Say no to drugs, say yes to cacti
HP22B

Post by HP22B »

The Pereskiopsis stock on my L. williamsii graft is losing all of its leaves, one by one. What gives? It also looks like the stem by the roots is splitting. Over/underwatering? Lack of nutrients? I'd rather this graft not end up looking like a lollipop.
HP22B

Post by HP22B »

Progress:
Filling out very nicely.

Not a ton of growing since the last progress but it is definitely swelling still. Notice a few missing leaves :roll:

No updates on the other three grafts. All of them are still looking sturdy, just no noticeable growth yet. It's been a little over three weeks now though so I expect to see some signs of boosting soon.
Brunãozinho

Post by Brunãozinho »

Nice Lophophora, do you think it is that one wich Hanazono wrote about?
Bruno
HP22B

Post by HP22B »

Could be, it is definitely lumpier/more bumpy than I would expect. This is my first time grafting this species so I don't know what should be normal, but it doesn't look typical from what I've seen on the internet. I'm guessing some sort of hybrid or strange cultivar. This could also explain the odd shapes of the non-grafted seedlings from this lot.
HP22B

Post by HP22B »

Here are the younger grafts.

L. a-v

Ariocarpus retusus v. furfuraceous

I'm a bit worried about the second L. a-v, it's quite wrinkly although the graft looks well-fit and sealed :? It's also starting to put out a little root nub so it seems like it's not happy. Should I let it be or cut the root off?
HP22B

Post by HP22B »

There has been practically no growth in those three grafts for all of February. Should I be concerned that these grafts did not take even though the scions aren't dying?

The grafted L. williamsii is definitely the Kikko variety. Here is a recent picture.

Driller64

Post by Driller64 »

They might not be growing because of cold. How warm do you keep them? Or it could just be that you didn't align the vascular rings well enough.
Say no to drugs, say yes to cacti
Robb

Post by Robb »

Great grafts HP22B! Don't be too worried about the Lophophora a-v graft, sometimes it can take a while for growth to begin because the vascular bundles can take longer to realign. I'm fairly sure that it will start to grow once spring comes around for you.
Buying a cactus a day will keep the madness away.
HP22B

Post by HP22B »

Thanks! The grafts are kept at or slightly above 25C.

The Kikko L. williamsii might also explain why my seedlings of the same species look so deformed and unnatural. Perhaps they are all the same cultivar.
HP22B

Post by HP22B »

I recently purchased an Opuntia subulata f. monstrose and I'm figuring out what to put on it. Has anyone grafted a Loph to this rootstock? I'm interested to see how the monstrose form would transfer to that particular scion.
snarfie

Post by snarfie »

please check this topic: http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... =22&t=9172" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , there is written much about mycoplasma-like organisms, that causes the monstrose formation of o. subulata f. monstruosa. Apparently it only infects opuntiaceae, of which lophophora isn't a member, so the loph probably won't show any strange growth. but i'm doing an experiment that might result in a variety/mutant of MLO, and if my experiment works i will probably be able to infect ortegocactus with it
Young professional amateur in Schlumbergera and Rhipsalidopsis growing and hybridizing