Grafting Progress

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
HP22B

Re: Grafting Progress

Post by HP22B »

Okay here was the last progress picture for this graft from about two weeks ago.

I recently degrafted this plant however since the Pereskiopsis stock lost all of its leaves and I anticipated growth to slow dramatically.

I currently have it sitting on top of some soil in the window waiting for it to root with another degrafted cactus. It's really squishy due to lack of water, hopefully it's big enough and pulls through.

My other three grafts from this thread still have shown absolutely no growth whatsoever, so I'm counting them up as failures... I don't have any more young seedlings right now to replace them with so I might go back onto the market for some seeds soon.
Robb

Post by Robb »

HP22B wrote: My other three grafts from this thread still have shown absolutely no growth whatsoever, so I'm counting them up as failures...
Don't give up yet! There is still hope! Leave them for a bit longer, as there is still a chance that they will put on a spurt of growth soon.
Buying a cactus a day will keep the madness away.
HP22B

Post by HP22B »

Really? I figured after three months of no growth I could chalk it up as a loss. I'll leave them be though if you think there's still a chance they'll do something.
Awdre

Post by Awdre »

No growth in three months can be because it's been winter. My grafts doesn't grow during winter :)
HP22B

Post by HP22B »

Good thing I trusted you, some new growth was noticed today :lol:

These pereskiopsis stocks lost all their leaves though...how strongly will this hinder growth of the scion?
Robb

Post by Robb »

Yes, growth will be slowed because of the loss of leaves. What I would do is wait until all the leafless grafts are bigger and then try grafting them onto a bigger stock, say harrisia. BTW your ariocarpus looks great!
HP22B

Post by HP22B »

What's the cause of my stocks to lose their leaves? They didn't get any colder than 70F this winter so I'm going to guess it's a watering thing. Over or underwatering though?
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

I think the cause of loosing leaves is an under-watering.
Mertzi

Post by Mertzi »

HP22B, I crave update! How are your grafts doing? :)
HP22B

Post by HP22B »

Pretty bad :lol:

Shortly after the last post the Ario got knocked off its stock by accident. I am in the process of regrafting the L. a-v to a better Pereskiopsis stock that has all of its leaves, so I will know if this takes soon. The original Loph from earlier in this thread is now rooted and becoming established by itself.
Mertzi

Post by Mertzi »

Sorry to hear that! Looking forward to an update of the rerooted loph and regrafted one thought! Good luck!
HP22B

Post by HP22B »

Here is the grafted L. a-v. I'm having problems getting this graft to take well, this is the second time I've repeated it. The scion keeps lifting up off the stock after about 5 days even with mild pressure on top.

It passes the push test but I don't know how sturdy it actually is. I think I must need more pressure.
Robb

Post by Robb »

Your graft looks fine. I have a Strombocactus graft which is barely attached and is growing great.
HP22B

Post by HP22B »

Here's an update on the degrafted seedling.

Very pointed in its overall shape, still looks to have bumpy ribs much like the Kikko variety of this genus. It has rooted already and I am waiting for its roots to get a bit bigger before moving it up to a slightly bigger pot.

And the L. a-v is growing nicely, new areoles have formed already since grafting. The new growth is a bit red however but I'm not concerned.
HP22B

Post by HP22B »

L. a-v graft got knocked off its stock...moving sucks :x

But here's an update on the kikko degraft with its small roots: