Grafting Progress

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
HP22B

Grafting Progress

Post by HP22B »

I wanted to combine my grafts and progress shots in one place for easier viewing, so I'll be updating here as time goes on.

Lophophora fricii graft was done on 09/22/2014.

10/11/2014:

10/30/2014:

11/11/2014:

11/30/2014:

Compared to its seed-mates:

Trichocereus peruvianus graft was done on 09/29/2014.

10/27/2014:

I almost lost it between here and the next photo:

11/13/2014:

I'll grab another photo of this graft tomorrow to show its recent progress.

I have some new seedlings coming in now and a lot more Pereskiopsis that will be grafted eventually so I'll be adding more soon.
Mark

Re: Grafting Progress

Post by Mark »

Great job! They seem to be growing well!

Mark
Driller64

Post by Driller64 »

Excellent job! I recently got my first (technically second) graft to take, an L. williamsii fricci seedling on an Opuntia stock. I hope you continue to get more to take!
Say no to drugs, say yes to cacti
HP22B

Post by HP22B »

Here's the progress shot of the T. peruvianus from today, much more obvious.

12/01/2014:
Driller64

Post by Driller64 »

Cool, I just bought some more Pereskiopsis cuttings. It is from the same seller as I bought from before, it is marked as one cutting, but he included more than what was marked in the ad last time so there will probably be more in the package. Unlike the other cuttings these cuttings will probably be used for grafting directly after rooting.
HP22B

Post by HP22B »

I'm working on rooting about 15, 8" cuttings that I got in an auction for a dollar crammed into a flat rate box (good deal!). They're very old and very thick though so I'm going to need bigger seedlings before I think about using them once they root. Even when they do I'll probably wait until I have significant new growth before grafting anything to the old chunks.
Driller64

Post by Driller64 »

Sever the main growth point and wait for it to grow a new one, which should be made from young tissue.
Driller64

Post by Driller64 »

Also when the T. peruvianus graft gets big enough you can use it as a more permenent grafting stock for the L. williamsii fricci graft.
snarfie

Post by snarfie »

Or you could degraft it, and let it grow as a specimen, and then you can also use it as a plant to get cuttings from :)
Young professional amateur in Schlumbergera and Rhipsalidopsis growing and hybridizing
snarfie

Post by snarfie »

Nice graft btw, i only got one to take, all others died or i accidentally knocked them off(only two), but the one that had taken was the graft that was most important to me, and after 3 months, it is finally showing some growth (pereskiopsis on o. Subulata monstruosa)
Young professional amateur in Schlumbergera and Rhipsalidopsis growing and hybridizing
HP22B

Post by HP22B »

Here's an update after just about two weeks for the two grafts above.

L. williamsii:

T. peruvianus:

I think in the next couple days I'm going to try grafting one of my three L. alberto-vojtechii seedlings. I'm nervous though since I only have three, but I've had pretty decent luck so far (2 for 3!) so I'm going to give it a shot. These are roughly 3.5 weeks old, does anyone think I should wait longer or is it okay to try doing it soon?
For the record that soil mix isn't as organic as it might look, I do 1:2:2 cactus soil:gravel:ground scoria so it looks pretty dark when wet.
Robb

Post by Robb »

Go for it! As long as you are comfortable with their size then there is nothing to stop you for going ahead. Good luck!
Buying a cactus a day will keep the madness away.
snarfie

Post by snarfie »

Wow nice grafts, my only successful graft is doing almost nothing(should have aligned the vascular bundles better)
HP22B

Post by HP22B »

Progress report as of 12/30/2014:

Very lumpy...

This one's a little oblong, do we think it needs more light?

This Lophophora is actually starting to look like the 'Kikko' variety due to the rib pattern. Any experience with this?

Today I also grafted two of the L. alberto-vojtechii seedlings and one Ariocarpus retusus v. furfuraceous. I'm a little worried about one of the L. a-v seedlings because I knocked the seedling off its graft and had to stick it back on. We'll see what happens I suppose.

Also today my Pereskiopsis root stock for the T. peruvianus graft got very yellow for whatever reason. I get the feeling it's dying, so I don't know how much longer this graft will be going. Will the graft still give decent growth with no leaves?
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

I suppose it should be fine most of the perekiopsis loose their leaves in certain months depending on the temperature and weather, But i guess only time will tell, Goodluck with the grafts if i have any A-V lophs seeds left over from my sow maybe we can dp a trade so if simmering does happen. (Knock on wood) u may be able to grow more. But I'll let u kno if yr interested i want gonna sow until spring anyways thoe..