jumping in with opuntia grafting

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
adetheproducer

jumping in with opuntia grafting

Post by adetheproducer »

I have been uming and ahing over attempting a graft for a :lol: year or so but have always preferred plants on their own roots. I want to get a good turn over for seeds inparticular lophophora williamsii so last night with out to much thinking I made my first attempt.
I wiped down the surface I was cutting on and the knife to keep every thing clean. The cut on the optuntia was done in one clean slice and on the scions and they stuck nice and quick with no gaps that I can see. Nothing had gone any funny colours but I am a bit loathed to try the sideways push test quite yet. The pucture where taken now about 18 hours after operation.
Attachments
20141107_102157.jpg
20141107_102157.jpg (53.76 KiB) Viewed 1679 times
20141107_102308.jpg
20141107_102308.jpg (86.32 KiB) Viewed 1679 times
20141107_102314.jpg
20141107_102314.jpg (83.35 KiB) Viewed 1679 times
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
snarfie

Re: jumping in with opuntia grafting

Post by snarfie »

I don't do the sideway push test, that way i already knocked off two grafting attempts that were nicely bonding then, but they fell off, and i think it isn't necessary at all, because if it is still firm and no strange colors after two weeks, they usually have taken :D
Young professional amateur in Schlumbergera and Rhipsalidopsis growing and hybridizing
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

snarfie wrote:I don't do the sideway push test, that way i already knocked off two grafting attempts that were nicely bonding then, but they fell off, and i think it isn't necessary at all, because if it is still firm and no strange colors after two weeks, they usually have taken :D

I dont think I will bother with the push test. They are definitely stuck on as I can hold it upside down and they do not move. I might be lucky here and get a successful first go at it.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
Onzuka

Post by Onzuka »

Have you had that graft in a high humidity chamber, Ade? The cut surface seems to have dried very quickly for only 18 hours from graft to photo!

Steve
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

No just out of direct light in my bedroom. It has not changed much since taking the picture except where they have joined together. By the looks of it they have taken as the opuntia have not contracted or dried at the graft points and the scions have not shrunk at all. I'll give it another week or so and the pot it up. I will put it in a bag next time if that is better but im happy to make mistakes when im learning it teaches more lessons, find the boudaries of good and bad technique and a lot of the why questions get answered. But thanks I appreciate any information and I think I will be trying more grafting in the future with more expensive varieties so will be a bit more cautious with those. I pretty much have a endless suppky of optuntia and lophs so it sounds more ambitious to start with these species for first attemp but it is not costing me anything.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND