Driller64's Grafting Log

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Driller64

Re: Driller64's Grafting Log

Post by Driller64 »

So my take rate has been increasing lately, with 2 new grafts successful, the Echinocactus graft and a B. liliputana graft onto a T. pachanoi stock that I posted about in another thread. I'm now beginning to use Opuntia humifusa as a stock because Pereskiopsis is not producing enough stock and Selenicereus is not doing much better. And O. humifusa is native to my state so I am currently getting pads from a plant near my house. I will try to establish a stock plant in a container at some point but until then I am getting pads from this plant. I am currently trying to graft a Uebelmannia pectinifera seedling onto an O humifusa pad along with an A. myriostigma seedling onto the same pad. I saved the roots of the U. pectinifera sedling and am attempting to graft those onto a separate pad as well. Also the Stombocactus seeds on the paper towel germinated so I can't wait to play with those :D
Say no to drugs, say yes to cacti
george76904

Post by george76904 »

Nice, do you need any seeds of O. Humifusa? I collect them from plants near my house; month or so old seedlings make excellent and forgiving grafting stocks. I did a side by side of a T. Pachanoi seedling on pereskiopsis, and O. Humifusa. So far (2 months in) they are performing equally well, but the O. Humifusa graft is a little bit plumper.
Glad the grafting is going well,
Will
Driller64

Post by Driller64 »

Do you graft below the cotyledons or above them? I might actually like some seeds even though they are easier to propagate from pads.
george76904

Post by george76904 »

Forgive me cotyledons? those are the seed leaves of the opuntia correct? If so I graft above them. I let them grow to the diameter of the seed I want to graft (I have alot of them growing) Then I just lop the tip off and stick on the scion.
Thanks,
Will
Driller64

Post by Driller64 »

The A. hintonii graft rotted from the bottom, but fortenately I was able to catch the rot and save the piece with the graft on it before it was too late. Also I have successfully grafted an A. retusus seedling to an O. Humifusa pad and I grafted a few Blossfeldia offsets to an Opuntia pad as well.
Last edited by Driller64 on Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Driller64

Post by Driller64 »

Pictures of the new grafts:
image.jpg
image.jpg (59.71 KiB) Viewed 2153 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (58.89 KiB) Viewed 2153 times
Driller64

Post by Driller64 »

Finally I got a T. pachanoi seedling graft to take! I'm working on more grafts, including some hypocotyl grafts on T. pachanoi seedlings. I have purchased some T. pachanoi seeds and have prepared a pot specifically for sowing them and using them for hypo grafts.
image.jpg
image.jpg (70.37 KiB) Viewed 2106 times
Driller64

Post by Driller64 »

I'm trying to get some last minute grafts done before the end of the growing season, I did grafts of an Ariocarpus sp. Godzilla seedling and a Uebelmannia pectinifera seedling onto Pereskiopsis today. In other news I have successfully grafted a Loph seedling and a Uebelmannia pectinifera seedling onto some very small Selenicereus shoots coming from little rooted chunks. I don't know how well they will hold up as they age :/ I also grafted a Loph seedling to Pereskiopsis as a replacement for the one I killed because I degrafted it too early.