Driller64's Grafting Log

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Driller64

Re: Driller64's Grafting Log

Post by Driller64 »

The problem with successfuly grafting an L. willamsii seedling is that you have to graft another one so it won't get lonely ;)
image.jpg
image.jpg (40.77 KiB) Viewed 3014 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (72.8 KiB) Viewed 3014 times
Say no to drugs, say yes to cacti
Driller64

Post by Driller64 »

I did an areole graft of Carnegia gigantiea onto Opuntia and after two days it passes the horizontal push test. Hopefully rather than having to wait 100 years for my Giant Saguaro to grow arms I will have to wait only 50 XD
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Driller64 wrote:I did an areole graft of Carnegia gigantiea onto Opuntia and after two days it passes the horizontal push test. Hopefully rather than having to wait 100 years
I believe it is only 75 years. That should brighten up your day!
Driller64

Post by Driller64 »

The Giant Saguaro graft didn't work, it looks like it was because I didn't bevel the edges of the areole. But many good things for my grafting career happened this week, including me buying five+ more Pereskiopsis cuttings to be used for grafting some Astrophytum seedlings in order to hybridize them with the A. asterias Super Kabuto graft I bought a while ago, and I bided on this a few hours ago: http://www.ebay.com/itm/391028964233?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Driller64

Post by Driller64 »

I bought a new packet of A. ritteri seeds from a guy in France on Ebay, after World Seed Supply ran out and gave me a refund. Also the new Pereskiopsis cuttings came today. 3 were set in separate pots to root in preparation for grafting, and the other 4 or so cuttings were set in a pot together for use as stock plants.
image.jpg
image.jpg (78.36 KiB) Viewed 2941 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (61.81 KiB) Viewed 2941 times
And I still have enough money to pay for the A. hintonii graft :D
Driller64

Post by Driller64 »

Second successful graft, hip hip horaay! It's a Lophorphora sp. (it was a seedling from a Loph mix) grafted on Pereskiopsis. It looks like it should start growing soon :D
image.jpg
image.jpg (78.06 KiB) Viewed 2896 times
Driller64

Post by Driller64 »

Update on successful graft #2. I had to perform a small microsurgery on it to remove the offshoots that were beginning to form.
image.jpg
image.jpg (78.54 KiB) Viewed 2872 times
7george

Post by 7george »

Driller64 wrote:The Giant Saguaro graft didn't work, it looks like it was because I didn't bevel the edges of the areole. But many good things for my grafting career happened this week, including me buying five+ more Pereskiopsis cuttings to be used for grafting some Astrophytum seedlings in order to hybridize them with the A. asterias Super Kabuto graft I bought a while ago, and I bided on this a few hours ago: http://www.ebay.com/itm/391028964233?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What kind of Opuntia did you used last time? Do you have some successful grafts on it?
I have some seedlings grown for this purpose but the time of grafting haven't come yet. 8)
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Driller64

Post by Driller64 »

7george wrote:
Driller64 wrote:The Giant Saguaro graft didn't work, it looks like it was because I didn't bevel the edges of the areole. But many good things for my grafting career happened this week, including me buying five+ more Pereskiopsis cuttings to be used for grafting some Astrophytum seedlings in order to hybridize them with the A. asterias Super Kabuto graft I bought a while ago, and I bided on this a few hours ago: http://www.ebay.com/itm/391028964233?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What kind of Opuntia did you used last time? Do you have some successful grafts on it?
I have some seedlings grown for this purpose but the time of grafting haven't come yet. 8)
I used Opuntia humifusa. I have not had any successful grafts on it yet.
Driller64

Post by Driller64 »

It's swelling up :D
image.jpg
image.jpg (47.57 KiB) Viewed 2817 times
And of course an update on the other successful graft. I ended up actually removing the areoles so I should not have any more trouble with offsets.
image.jpg
image.jpg (65.73 KiB) Viewed 2817 times
george76904

Post by george76904 »

Driller, I too have been experimenting with seedling grafts and grafts in general. It is too soon to tell but it appears that some of my seedling grafts onto o. Humifusa have taken. If you want some I can send you some seeds that you can try to graft on.
Will
Driller64

Post by Driller64 »

george76904 wrote:Driller, I too have been experimenting with seedling grafts and grafts in general. It is too soon to tell but it appears that some of my seedling grafts onto o. Humifusa have taken. If you want some I can send you some seeds that you can try to graft on.
Will
I will consider your offer. I have not grown any Opuntias from seed, though I have heard it is more difficult to grow them from seed rather than the super easy process of rooting them from cuttings.

I grafted an Ariocarpus fissuratus cv. Godzilla seedling onto Pereskiopsis and after around one week it's been now no rust has formed on the wound. This is good because these are pretty much the only seeds of this cultivar I have been able to find on the Internet. I think if I use the method of cutting a new piece off the stock right before placing the seedling on to ensure as little contamination as possible, practicing maximum sterilization and not touching the grafting wound at all I think I will have more success. I can't wait to graft more Arios! :D
george76904

Post by george76904 »

While it is true that opuntias have amazing rooting power, growing from seed was relatively easy. They were the first ones I ever grew from seed and a quick soak in some GA3 and I got a 90-95% germ rate very quickly.
HP22B

Post by HP22B »

george76904 wrote:While it is true that opuntias have amazing rooting power, growing from seed was relatively easy. They were the first ones I ever grew from seed and a quick soak in some GA3 and I got a 90-95% germ rate very quickly.
With what concentration of GA3, and for how long? Did you make your solution by dissolving the GA3 in isopropyl alcohol and diluting with water, or did you soak the seeds directly in the isopropyl alcohol solution?
george76904

Post by george76904 »

I diluted a Iso. Alcohol solution to 250 ppm and soaked for 24 hours. Gave bottom heat and 12-15 hr photo period. Got 45-48 of 50 to germinate readily.