Is this graft okay?

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
HP22B

Is this graft okay?

Post by HP22B »

This is a Lophophora fricii seedling grafted onto Pereskiopsis, it was done about two and a half weeks ago and I just took it out of its humidity chamber. It looks as if the base of the scion is turning a bit red - is there something wrong? Should I keep it in the high humidity box for a while longer? The union is sturdy, it passes the horizontal push test and looks as if a nice seal has formed between the two. The seedling has definitely grown since grafting even though it has only been a little over two weeks.

majcka

Re: Is this graft okay?

Post by majcka »

I think there are too many leaves on your Pereskiopsis left. They can eat too much food scion should get.
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Robb

Post by Robb »

The graft seems perfectly fine. I wouldn't worry.
Buying a cactus a day will keep the madness away.
Brunãozinho

Post by Brunãozinho »

If it´s growing then it should be ok.
Bruno
Onzuka

Post by Onzuka »

The graft is fine, infact it is very well done. Leave the leaves on, the plant uses those as it's food factory and you will notice a slowing of the scions growth when they eventually fall off naturally.

You have the hairy leg type of Pereskiopsis. I also had that type and eliminated it from my stocks. I was finding that the hairs were getting between the grafting joint and lowering my success rate.

Steve
HP22B

Post by HP22B »

Thanks for the tips everyone. This was actually my first graft, so it's good to hear that it was well done! It still seems to be red in color by the union, but I'll give it time and hope it works itself out.

I didn't notice the Pereskiopsis hairs getting in the way of the graft, I think they were shorter by the apical tip compared to the hair found lower on the stalk so maybe that helped. I have one or two more shoots ready for grafting so I'll make sure to keep an eye on the hair to ensure it doesn't get in the way.
Onzuka

Post by Onzuka »

HP22B wrote:This was actually my first graft,
Then you have been incredibly lucky, my friend, or very well self-taught from on-line sources or friends.

It took me many tries before I had a success and I'm sure that applies to most, if not all, on here.

So well done again, and I wish you the same success into the future.

Steve
HP22B

Post by HP22B »

I used a video that someone posted on this forum as a reference, in which the seedling stays on the razor and is slid off onto the freshly cut stock. Then I just kept it in a makeshift humidity chamber for the first two weeks and it seemed to take okay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYVnoc38ns0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Driller64

Post by Driller64 »

You got a graft to take on your first try? darn, you must either have some serious luck or you must have made some sort of Faustian Bargain with the Devil himself lol. I still have yet to get any grafts to take, but if at first you don't succeed, try try again I suppose. I have sown some Lophorphora williamsii fricci seeds myself with the specific intention of grafting them, but that was only two days ago or so they still have yet to sprout. I think the only problem with grafting on Perskiopsis is the fact that with species that don't root from cuttings you have to go to the trouble of regrafting them onto a more permanent stock. Also some think the grafted plants look ugly, but I don't care if they do when I get one to take. I'll just be grateful to have finally done it :)
Say no to drugs, say yes to cacti
HP22B

Post by HP22B »

If it makes anyone feel better I tried grafting another one the next day and it promptly shriveled and died :lol:
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

Driller, are you making sure the blade is sterile? I had trouble because I figured it was "clean enough". Once I started rubbing it down with alcohol every time I made a cut my success rate went up. Also make sure you are having part of the vascular ring of the Pereskiopsis touching the seedling you are grafting. Also be quick, the cut surfaces can start to dry out very quickly.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
Driller64

Post by Driller64 »

Yeah, I'm trying to improve the sterilization aspect of my grafting, I just realized I don't sterilize when cutting the second piece of Pereskiopsis that you leave on so that that you can take your time when cutting the seedling. I don't really bother even trying to align the rings most of the time cause the seedlings are just so dang small. I just do what everyone else does and place it slightly off center and cross my fingers that a connection is made. That seems to work for everyone else, so I see no reason to change that :)
HP22B

Post by HP22B »

Soon after posting this thread I attempted another graft using a runt Echinopis pachanoi seedling and it seems to have taken, maybe even with a better seal than the first. I believe the technique in the video I posted is very good for ensuring success. In short, cut the tip off of your stock with a (sterile) razor then cut the seedling scion in half, keeping the scion half stuck to the razor. With the other end of the razor, remove the next 1 mm of your stock (at this point the seedling and 1mm of Pereskiopsis are on opposite ends of the same razor) and gently slide the seedling into the stock, aligning the outer rings so that both rings overlap. Gently press down onto the scion and then leave it be. Place the whole plant into a humidity chamber (I use a plastic bottle with the top cut off), lifting the plastic to most daily.

I'll post a picture of the new graft momentarily.

Driller64

Post by Driller64 »

I think I'll try the method you're using. I have a cutting of a Pereskiopsis from a plant that was actively growing (I know cause it won't stop oozing sap lol) so I'll use a runt San Pedro seedling or maybe even one of my L. williamsii fricci seedlings that just recently sprouted. Speaking of L. williamsii fricci, how's that graft going? They're supposed to get pretty big within their first few weeks.
Last edited by Driller64 on Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
HP22B

Post by HP22B »

The L. fricii graft is doing very well actually, this last week in particular it plumped up rather noticeably. Here is a comparison with its seedmates, all of these germinated at the same time.

And here's a closeup of the scion.

Overall, these seedlings are all about 3 months old. The grafted seedling has been on Pereskiopsis for just over 1 month, with most of its (obvious) growth happening in the last week as I said.