Can I graft to these Pereskiopsis?

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
HP22B

Can I graft to these Pereskiopsis?

Post by HP22B »

I got these as cuttings, and during the rooting process all of their leaves fell off. It's pretty obvious that their new growth has taken off upon rooting, so I want to start using the legs as grafting stock. If I cut them in half and then propagate the top halves, is it safe to graft a young scion to the bottom half of these Pereskiopsis if they don't have any leaves? Should I wait until the top halves root, then start growth, then graft to them and forget about the previously rooted part completely?

Thanks!
Robb

Re: Can I graft to these Pereskiopsis?

Post by Robb »

Definitely re-root the top halves.
How much leafless stem is there? If there was enough you could cut it into sections and root them horizontally. It might be a bit too late in the growing season to graft. I would keep them warm and propagate them heavily over winter ready for grafting in spring. Remember the Pereskiopsis rule: Light + Heat + Water = Too many Pereskiopsis :P
Buying a cactus a day will keep the madness away.
HP22B

Post by HP22B »

The leafless stem section is about 10-12 cm. I thought it was funny that it never tried to shoot out replacement leaves but rather took off with new apical growth instead. What size segments could I cut it into and still get good root growth?
Robb

Post by Robb »

7 to 10 ten centimetres should be good if you lie the cuttings horizontally.
Buying a cactus a day will keep the madness away.