de-graftable? Cacti from home depot

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
CHADDYBIGGUMS

de-graftable? Cacti from home depot

Post by CHADDYBIGGUMS »

Was at the home depot and found these two grafted cacti.
I'm pretty the first one is parodia scopa and the second is gymnocalycium mihanovichii.
My first question is, since these are green they could be de-grafted, rooted, and grown on their own correct? It would seem that there is no lack of chlorophyll to me.
My second question is, the offsets on the Gymno. seem whiteish green, could these be rooted as well, or will time and more growth be the judge of this?
For my third question, the parodia scopa has 7 offsets, could these be grafted on o. humifusa aka o. compressa? The reason I ask is that I have tons of o humifusa laying around. Also if this is possible, does anyone have a link to a tutorial on this?
CHADDYBIGGUMS

Re: de-graftable? Cacti from home depot

Post by CHADDYBIGGUMS »

Also, I am going to re pot these grafted cacti and let them grow for a bit longer. How much longer do you think that parodia scopa could last on that hylocereus stock, it looks like it is going to flower and I hear they don't usually survive to flowering age grafted to that stock.
gemhunter178

Re: de-graftable? Cacti from home depot

Post by gemhunter178 »

1, Yes, these can be degrafted and grown on their own roots.
2, Technically yes, but I would wait for them to grow a little so they don't dry up before they root when you try to
3, Well, here's one about grafting tubercles, I think you can modify it to suit your needs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA3ZIjHGKZ0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Edit: this may be helpful too: http://www.cactus-art.biz/technics/Graf ... _index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.