Good grafting knives

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Driller64

Good grafting knives

Post by Driller64 »

Hello, I am new to this forum and need some help on grafting. A month or so ago I attempted to graft for the first time, Trichocereus pachanoi seedlings on Opuntia stock. I was using a budding knife for fruit trees. I thought it would be sharp enough, but apparently it wasn't, because after having a difficult time getting through the stock, when I went to cut the seedlings, it crushed them instead :oops:. So I quit the grafting attempt because I knew it would be no use trying to graft crushed seedlings. The seedlings were about two months old, so they should have been ready, right? So I think it is the knife that is the issue. What knives are normally used for grafting cacti? Is it a good idea to buy one of these knives, or should I buy a sharpening stone to sharpen the grafting knife I have?
Say no to drugs, say yes to cacti
Pilif

Re: Good grafting knives

Post by Pilif »

If I feel like slicing up cacti I simply use a kitchen knife. You just need a knife that is sharp enough (and for seedlings, that means very sharp) not to crush too much plant-tissue.
Filip
Driller64

Post by Driller64 »

Found a sharp knife, and gave grafting a shot again. After crushing two seedlings, I managed to cut cleanly through one and stick it on the Opuntia a little late. I think I fiddled with the scion too much though, so it probably won't take, but it's worth a shot, right? :)

EDIT: I did get Pereskiopsis recently so I have the option of using that if it is better for this sort of thing.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (49.75 KiB) Viewed 4006 times
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

Razorblades are best for tiny seedlings, since it slices through them like butter without doing any crushing damage. Craft knives are good too, as are scalpels if you can get a hold of them.
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
Driller64

Post by Driller64 »

Driller64 wrote:Found a sharp knife, and gave grafting a shot again. After crushing two seedlings, I managed to cut cleanly through one and stick it on the Opuntia a little late. I think I fiddled with the scion too much though, so it probably won't take, but it's worth a shot, right? :)

EDIT: I did get Pereskiopsis recently so I have the option of using that if it is better for this sort of thing.
What do you know, it didn't take. If at first you don't succeed, try try again, I guess. :)
Onzuka

Post by Onzuka »

I have done lots of grafting and use single sided razor blades that are made in the US of A. They have a safety band along the back to stop you from cutting your fingers. I get them at a very low price from Ebay.

Most of my seedling grafting is done with Pereskiopsis stocks. I have used Opuntia compressa but have difficulty getting the grafts to take and when they do, the growth is slow. I've studied the Cactus Art Biz website and just don't know how the guy gets such spectacular results.

Steve
Driller64

Post by Driller64 »

Well my Pereskiopsis cuttings rooted so all I have to do is wait for them to grow some and use the cuttings that come from the cuttings I rooted.
promethean_spark

Post by promethean_spark »

I got a 500 pack of razor blades at harbor freight for $5. Between each cut I wipe it with a paper towel soaked in alcohol, and throw away the blade after each session.
Driller64

Post by Driller64 »

What I noticed when I looked the failed Opuntia graft was there was a small patch of what looks to be attached tissue where the seedling was. Also the scion shriveled up, but it was hard to remove as well. Could a little bit of humidity be all the graft needed to suceed? I may repeat the same procedure I did as the failed grafts, but this time sealing the graft in a plastic bag. I will post a seperate thread if I go through with this.

EDIT: And now, since I have gotten comfortable with the idea of mutilating my cacti through my previous two grafting attempts, my hands now will not shake while I am performing the procedure, increasing my chances of success! Yay! :D