Misc. Epiphytes as Stocks?

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Lokoliki

Misc. Epiphytes as Stocks?

Post by Lokoliki »

Recently got some cuttings of various species of Hatiora, Epiphyllum, (Pseudo/)Riphalis, and some other genera. Some of these — especially the hylocereeae — seem to grow pretty quickly and led to me wondering if any other epi cacti (aside from Hylocereus and Selenicereus) have any practical use as stocks? Haven't come across any examples of grafts on the small epis. One species that I plan on testing out as a stock is Lepismium ianthothele, as it is (apparently, so said the nurseryman) fast growing and seems easy to handle. A bit thicker than related species, so I'm hoping the vascular ring isn't miniscule... I'll eventually post results, but until then, any past examples?
Carl_B

Re: Misc. Epiphytes as Stocks?

Post by Carl_B »

Hi Lokoliki I've not tried any other epiphyte species as graft stock but I'd be interested in hearing about your results :) I have recently diversified into Hatiora and Schlumbergera species and have a nice selection of cuttings coming along but my grafts are another story I've tried grafting cuttings of Hatiora epiphylloides ssp. bradei & ssp. epiphylloides but the grafts never take... although my graft which I obtained of Schlumbergera microsphaerica is romping away.
CactusFanDan

Re: Misc. Epiphytes as Stocks?

Post by CactusFanDan »

I tried using a cylindrical stem of an Epiphyllum as grafting stock once, but the scion didn't grow very fast at all. I may as well have grafted it onto an Ariocarpus. :wink:
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog