Creating a better moon cactus?

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Gail

Creating a better moon cactus?

Post by Gail »

So I really like the looks of the colored part on a moon cactus but its my understanding they are a short lived plant due to the rootstock used. Is there a better option to graft pups on? Another desert cactus that will stay closer to the size of the Gymnocalycium mihanovichii?
My moms moon cactus has a lot of roughly 3/4 pups and I'd really like to try my hand at grafting if I can find a suitable rootstock.
CactusFanDan

Re: Creating a better moon cactus?

Post by CactusFanDan »

Myrtillocactus geometrizans is a good alternative, as are Trichocereus pachanoi or peruvianus. Most other columnar cacti would probably be good too. Harrisia jusbertii seems to be one of the most highly esteemed grafting stocks.
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
keithp2012

Post by keithp2012 »

Honestly, if you cross pollinate a colored moon cacti with one that's purple or green the offspring will be variegated and some solid that live on their own roots. No grafting and in my opinion that's a better moon cactus! Plus you could get some awesome looking ones from the batch!
rgiesecke

Post by rgiesecke »

I had some success grafting chlorophyll deficient Gymno ("moon cactus") scions onto Opuntia cacanapa last year. Spineless Opuntia is abundant and cheap here. Where are you located?

Also, I'd like to voice the opinion that "moon cacti" are grafted plants with no chlorophyll of their own by common definition... thus a partially variegated Gymno hybrid, though potentially a nice plant, may not be "a better moon cactus."

As a second choice for a dry climate I would probably favor Myrtillocactus geometrizans like Dan said.
"Horticulture, after all, is a mode of articulating and feeling time."