Grafting Opuntia fragilis and random questions....

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
jaredhiggs1

Grafting Opuntia fragilis and random questions....

Post by jaredhiggs1 »

I am super new to this and would like some help determining what the best stock would be to graft Opuntia fragilis onto. I have a pad of what could be O. ficus-indica and have access to pereskiopsis, hylocereus, juvinile selenicereus testudo, blue myrtle, Opuntia microdasys f. monstrosus, and Austrocylindropuntia subulata monstrose. 1) What would be the best to use? 2) Is it even worth my time? 3) can O. fragilis be turned monstrose or crestate and if so has anyone done it? 4) what would be the best and easiest cuts to use to graft?
Hopefully that makes sense.
Jared
CactusFanDan

Re: Grafting Opuntia fragilis and random questions....

Post by CactusFanDan »

1. Out of all those stocks you listed, I'd say Opuntia fragilis is a better stock than a few of them. :lol:
2. Nope, O. fragilis is one of the easiest plants to grow and fairly fast too. Cold hardy, moisture tolerant, drought tolerant, heat tolerant etc. :P
3. I don't think anyone has been able to induce crested or monstrose growth in any cactus species so far. So in short, nope.
4. Flat grafting is most commonly used for cacti. Simple and effective. :P But as I said above, I wouldn't bother grafting O. fragilis. :wink: But saying that, if you want practise at grafting and nothing better to graft, then why not. :P
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
snarfie

Post by snarfie »

interesting topic: http://cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9172" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Young professional amateur in Schlumbergera and Rhipsalidopsis growing and hybridizing
jaredhiggs1

Post by jaredhiggs1 »

Thank you dan and snarfie for your replies! Very clarifying for me ha. Much appreciated.
Jared