Moon Cactus on Opuntia(Questions)

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
coltonschultz

Moon Cactus on Opuntia(Questions)

Post by coltonschultz »

Hello all,
Recently I took one of the offsets my moon cactus(grafted on hylocereus) was producing and grafted it onto what I think is Opuntia ficus indica(Obviously some sort of Opuntia). I used some super glue and rubber banded the graft down until I thought it held. Here are some pictures:
graft1.jpeg
graft1.jpeg (122.5 KiB) Viewed 1701 times
graft2.jpeg
graft2.jpeg (106.24 KiB) Viewed 1701 times
graft3.jpeg
graft3.jpeg (90.18 KiB) Viewed 1701 times
So, I have a few questions.
What kind of light should I give this plant?
Do I need to keep pressure on with the rubber bands for longer to ensure the graft takes? (I had the rubber bands on for a day and used super glue)
Has anyone had success grafting on opuntia, and does anyone know the compatibility of these two?
Thanks!
promethean_spark

Re: Moon Cactus on Opuntia(Questions)

Post by promethean_spark »

All cacti are compatible, however you should have left it with the rubber bands longer. I wait a week minimum before removing the bandages. Important grafts get two weeks undisturbed. Changing the pressure before they knit is asking for a failed graft.
coltonschultz

Post by coltonschultz »

Thank you! Fortunately I have tons of pups growing from my moon cactus, so if this one fails, I can always try again! Maybe the super glue combined with the pressure I had on will make the graft take, but we shall find out!
promethean_spark

Post by promethean_spark »

The scion is big enough you could try again with it if it doesn't take. It can probably survive a year without roots if it isn't in the sun.