Cold weather emergency graft

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
tumamoc

Cold weather emergency graft

Post by tumamoc »

I read that you need to graft when the stock plant is growing (duh!), but I have to save one of my Echinomastus intertextus plants now while all things seem dormant. I have Harrisia and a couple of other species at my disposal. Can I bring the donor plant out of dormancy by bringing it indoors and/or placing some heat underneath the pot? I'd hate to lose my plant. I think it was about one spring away from blooming for the first time, before the base rotted away.
GeneS

Re: Cold weather emergency graft

Post by GeneS »

Since you are in AZ, grab a piece of Opuntia imbricata as a stock.

It is a very good cold hardy stock for many of the more difficult NA species. It doesn't even have to be rooted. Graft away and put stock in pot of dry media. Should take if the scion is otherwise healthy.

Cheers ... GeneS
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

Thanks for the advice, Gene.
paulzie32

Post by paulzie32 »

Wouldn't bringing it inside and placing under growlight for at least 14 hours a day bring it out of dormancy? If the stock is growing, I would think you'd have a better chance of getting the graft to take if at least one of the halves were actively growing.
Image I wasn't raised a Cactolic but converted to Cactolicism later in life ImageImage
promethean_spark

Post by promethean_spark »

I'd graft sooner rather than later to stop the rot in the plant you're trying to save.
Trichocereus/echinopsis grow slowly all winter for me, you might have some that aren't dormant.

Fruit trees are grafted when they're totally dormant and that works okay. The plant will still heal if it's damaged. Just make sure that the scion you choose is nice and plump.
cortona

Post by cortona »

if i can just give a little tips if the plant that you have to graft is not so big simply use cianoacrilic glue! it close everithing and give more protection from fungus spores that travel in the air.
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

Thanks for the tip!