Grafting Echeveria-- What stock?

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
FingerPrickinFun

Grafting Echeveria-- What stock?

Post by FingerPrickinFun »

Hi guys,

I was curious about trying to graft some echeveria or other rosettes to get some quick offsets, but it's my understanding that I can't use peresiopsis, opuntia, hylocereus, etc for the stock.

I don't know much about the non-cacti side of succulents, but I'm sure some stocks must be more suitable than others. Are there any stocks in the succulent world that are renown for speed? I'm looking for the non-cacti equivalent of a hylo or pere.
CactusFanDan

Re: Grafting Echeveria-- What stock?

Post by CactusFanDan »

Ideally it'd be a plant in the same family. I understand that Adeniums are sometimes grafted onto Oleander? Or something like that. :P Something faster growing than the Echeveria, but in the same should be your stock and also something which is big enough to make it mechanically possible. :)
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
majcka

Post by majcka »

CactusFanDan wrote:Ideally it'd be a plant in the same family. I understand that Adeniums are sometimes grafted onto Oleander? Or something like that. :P Something faster growing than the Echeveria, but in the same should be your stock and also something which is big enough to make it mechanically possible. :)
You understand that right. I only blame them not to say it is so. I have one and didn't realise it until I started to look into it veeeeeery closely. It look like it's branches were broken and patched on it again. :lol:
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

FingerPrickinFun

CactusFanDan wrote:Ideally it'd be a plant in the same family.
Thanks for the heads-up.

A: Does it have to be in the same family?

B: According to the all-knowing wikipedia, Echeveria belong to the family Crassulaceae, which seems to contain a HUGE variety of some wicked-looking plants. I thumbed through genus or two and now I'm pretty overwhelmed. I have only grafted cacti, and some of these plants look more like trees out of a Dr. Seuss book than the cacti I'm used to fiddling with! :shock:

C: I'm really not committed to echiveria as a genus. My objective is simply to propagate several rosette-type succulents in time to use them as centerpieces and boutineers for my wedding in May. So anyone with ANY experience grafting these little buggers please give me a shout!
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

The same family should be a minimum, really. The more closely related the two species you're grafting, the more likely it is going to be that the graft will be successful. Crassulaceae, though! That gives you plenty of options and the most obvious one that comes to mind is the common Crassula ovata aka 'Jade plant'. :)
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
FingerPrickinFun

CactusFanDan wrote: and the most obvious one that comes to mind is the common Crassula ovata aka 'Jade plant'. :)
That looks perfect! I'm going to get my hands on some jade and give it a shot. Thanks, Dan!
promethean_spark

Post by promethean_spark »

There's no real scientific basis for family-genus-species, so even though all members of a given family (Ie cactus) are compatible does not mean another family will be. Not all plants graft readily either, even of the same species. I would expect it can be done with crassulas since they're similar to other readily graftable plants, but I'd stick to a close relative of the species in question as a sanity check before trying a more distant union.