saguaro grafting thing...

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
onesickfreak

saguaro grafting thing...

Post by onesickfreak »

ok, so i figure im gonna try to get a bunch of these guys going and return them to there home one day, kinda learning as i go... done some research, killed a few, got a few ok at best, and maybe got some right.

anyways, i started my seeds, and at about 2 months i started grafting onto pereskiopsis. most fell of that i pressed on, and then even more got the hell beat out of them or knocked off in the rain. i got some more started that i superglued on, just a drop on each side of the scion to hold it on. been placing the grafts in a rubbermaid style tote with perilte on the bottom for the first week in the dark, then placing in a shaded window for another week, then part sun, full sun....

my master plan is to regraft these onto san pedro in a year or two, (though i saw one method using optunia that looked like it would work just as well and cheaper.) and then eventually degraft and root. like i said, i have no experience with this, so any and all help will be appreciated.
;-}
the devil made me do it... it was so much fun
onesickfreak

Re: saguaro grafting thing...

Post by onesickfreak »

pics
saguaro seedlings 7-11.JPG
saguaro seedlings 7-11.JPG (94.98 KiB) Viewed 4260 times
grafted 7-9 (taken 7-11).JPG
grafted 7-9 (taken 7-11).JPG (67.79 KiB) Viewed 4260 times
inside tub.JPG
inside tub.JPG (91.8 KiB) Viewed 4260 times
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

If you're interested in returning them to the wild and want them to actually survive then you'll need to treat them hard. That means grafting isn't advisable. Grafted plants (even after degrafting) tend to be a lot softer and less tolerant of drying out for long periods of time than plants which were always grown on their own roots. I suppose it could work, but I wouldn't be too hopeful. :?
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
onesickfreak

Post by onesickfreak »

hmm... i had heard this was a problem with lophs as well, they dont form a very decent rooting system after degrafting...
could the same be said for clones? such as, what if i grew the plant, knocked it over mimicking some natural disaster, causing it to form roots and pups grow off that?
or is this one of those questions ill be answering in then next 10-15 years? ;-}

sorry but im gonna have a lot of questions. been reading through this section, and it helps, but ive found that there isnt much grafting info out there on the web that isnt lophophora exclusive... so far ive found a wider and more useful collection right here, and im not just kissing a$$...
tudedude

Post by tudedude »

I thought saguaros didnt root from cuttings? It would be intereting to keep upping the grafting stock to something large enough to be able to support an adult saguaro.
onesickfreak

Post by onesickfreak »

crap... your right... well, theres that answer...

but yeah, im still gonna keep grafting them to larger stock...
besides, if i wasnt before, looks like i dont really have a choice ;-}
onesickfreak

Post by onesickfreak »

behold, frankengraft...
only two months old
frankengraft 9-3-13.JPG
frankengraft 9-3-13.JPG (65.5 KiB) Viewed 4074 times
sadly hes the only survivor of that experiment... (i have another going, to play with. ya know, the bride of frankengraft...), a freak storm stomped on my plants one day while i was at work... ](*,)
Brunãozinho

Post by Brunãozinho »

It's growing a lot, I'm surprised and curious, maybe you'll have to regraft really soon!
Bruno
paulzie32

Post by paulzie32 »

The next time you prepare your Pereskiopsis, don't cut off any of the leaves. The more leaves on the rootstock, the better off you are. I don't know if you removed them or if they just didn't have any, but the leaves help with the photosynthesis, providing more food for your plant.
Image I wasn't raised a Cactolic but converted to Cactolicism later in life ImageImage