Stock length vs. life span

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Sharpy

Stock length vs. life span

Post by Sharpy »

I hope this has not been discussed to death already. Just a simple question, does the length of the stock have any effect on its life span.

Mainly talking Pereskiopsis here. 2" will live shorter then a 4" etc. etc. ?
Sharpy (Doug)

Just say NO to glochids!
promethean_spark

Re: Stock length vs. life span

Post by promethean_spark »

No. However a taller stock with leaves will produce more rapid growth. The oldest grafts I have on pereskiopsis are about 5 years old. They do produce slower growth as the leaves are shed and the stem grows bark, but by then a healthy graft will have grown enough to grow rapidly from it's own photosynthesis.
Sharpy

Post by Sharpy »

Ty Ty. 5 years is quite a lot longer then I thought the stock would live. Nice to know.

Will make sure to go for a little taller, then my previous grafts, to catch a couple more sets of leaves.

Cheers
Sharpy (Doug)

Just say NO to glochids!
redg408

Post by redg408 »

life span for pereskiopsis grafts can live over 10 years or even more. if you keep good root system. Avoid and protect your perskiosis from fungus gnats and fungus. These are the main killer of perskiosis because they love wet soil and fungus gnats and fungus also loves wet soils. Also keep perskiosis from depleting the soil mineral. Perskiosis are fast growing cactus and even faster grower when the are in mineral rich soil. Use a slow release fertilizers or worm casting to counter the plant from depleting the soil and maintaining a healthy graft.

5 inch stock length is fine for grafting but main thing is maintaining good root system