Some of my grafts

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
paulzie32

Some of my grafts

Post by paulzie32 »

Here's some pictures of some of my successful (and some not so successful) grafts. Unfortunately, I haven't labeled most of them and do not know what they are. Either I lost the tag on the seedling pot before grafting or it faded to the point of not being legible. Maybe you'll recognize some.

Here's a Strombocactus diciformis

Mammillaria perezdelarosae

Hatiora salicornioides

Blossfeldia and some type of Echinocereus

Sulcorebutia rauschii

Almost missed the ring... Barely hanging on

Ferocactus sp1?

Ferocactus sp2?

Not sure. It was a seedling that appeared to be rotting from the top and I didn't think it would even make it and one day I found it behind a few other pots and it took!

And My Favorite! It was a large Echinomastus erectocentrus that just didn't plump back up this spring so I went to repot it, thinking it may have root mealies and there WERE no roots! They completely rotted away! Afraid I wasn't going to get it to re-root, I found a large Cereus in a pot at Home Depot and decided to try to graft it! It Worked!!! Notice the new red spines on top?

I have more, but figured that's good for now. Gotta get back to work.
Last edited by paulzie32 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image I wasn't raised a Cactolic but converted to Cactolicism later in life ImageImage
gemhunter178

Re: Some of my grafts

Post by gemhunter178 »

Nice grafts! =D> You sure that second one in the 1st and 2nd pics is a Strombocactus diciformis? Looks more like a Loph to me.... :-k
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
paulzie32

Post by paulzie32 »

The background graft is.... The front, I'm not sure what it is :roll: :-$
Image I wasn't raised a Cactolic but converted to Cactolicism later in life ImageImage
Awdre

Post by Awdre »

paulzie32 wrote:The background graft is.... The front, I'm not sure what it is :roll: :-$
The front is Lophophora for sure :) nice grafts!!
paulzie32

Post by paulzie32 »

Whaaat? No! surely not... Can't be. That was supposed to be Ariocarpus seed I got on eBay. 8-[

I better destroy that right away! :roll:
Glochid Fingers

Post by Glochid Fingers »

Nice grafts. I especially like the Blossfeldia. Ive always found them to be very interesting. Did you grow from seed then graft or purchase a plant and then graft?
paulzie32

Post by paulzie32 »

I tried several times to grow some seeds and always got them to germinate... but keeping them alive was the toughest part for me. I even got some to live a few months and even grafted a few Pin Head size seedlings. One I even posted pictures of on here a few times. Then one day, I was moving something and I bumped the graft and it Shot off into the shelf somewhere between the pots or fell between them. It was So small, there was no way I'd find it! I then was invited to a C&S meeting where Bob Smoley was to be giving a "Talk" or doing a Demo on Grafting and I went. There were only a few people and Bob was very generous and offered everyone a graft of their choosing. I chose the Blossfeldia, but then asked for the bottom half of all the pieces he grafted (Pelecyphora aselliformis, Sulco. rauschii, Blossfeldia and a couple others I wasn't as intererested in). Again, being very generous, Bob gave me another piece off his P.aselliformis and even a few rootstock plants to graft all the pieces. The S. rauschii, did not make it so the picture I posted was from a plant I had. I loved the way Bobs had grown into a Mass of offsets/heads so, I figured it was worth sacrificing my plant if it would turn into that! It wasn't doing so good on it's own anyway and is doing much better now.

BUT.... IF you want your own Blossfeldia graft, Miles2Go has some REALLY Nice ones! I was going to order one, but figured I'd wait to see how this graft did first.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Nice save with that echinomastus. :)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
paulzie32

Post by paulzie32 »

Thanks Tony. Doubt I'll ever get it on it's own roots, but that's ok. Maybe it will start producing offsets. I'll be happy with that :)
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

paulzie32 wrote:Whaaat? No! surely not... Can't be. That was supposed to be Ariocarpus seed I got on eBay. 8-[

:lol: Nice grafts anyway. :) Not sure about the look of that M. perezdelarosae, but all the others look pretty good. :D
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
paulzie32

Post by paulzie32 »

Thanks Dan... What is it about the M. perezdelarosae? Do you think that's the wrong name? I don't have it labeled and was just going by what it looked like and what I've sown :)
Awdre

Post by Awdre »

paulzie32 wrote:Whaaat? No! surely not... Can't be. That was supposed to be Ariocarpus seed I got on eBay. 8-[

yep, its most likely to be a lophophora williamsii. 8) are they not legal to grow where you live? As you say I've seen lots of lophophoras been "named" as ariocarpus on ebay.. that is false labeling.
Onzuka

Post by Onzuka »

Awdre wrote: yep, its most likely to be a lophophora williamsii. 8) are they not legal to grow where you live? As you say I've seen lots of lophophoras been "named" as ariocarpus on ebay.. that is false labeling.
I've listed Lophophora williamsii on Ebay on many occasions. Every time, the listing is removed and I get a nasty email from Ebay accusing me of trading in "drugs & drug paraphenalia" I always restrict my auctions to the UK where buying, selling and growing this plant is perfectly legal. I've told this to the Ebay people many times and I may as well just talk to the wall! Ebay, however, don't seem to mind them being listed from Germany. Beats me.......

What I'm saying is that this is the reason for wrongly describing them. List them as Ariocarpus or Astrophytum, show a very clear picture of a Lopho, and the listing survives.

Steve
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

paulzie32 wrote:Thanks Dan... What is it about the M. perezdelarosae? Do you think that's the wrong name? I don't have it labeled and was just going by what it looked like and what I've sown :)
Oh no, I think the name's right, I just think it looks a little stretched and odd compared to plant on their own roots. The spination isn't very dense on your plant, but I guess that's just a side effect of grafting. :)
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
paulzie32

Post by paulzie32 »

Hey Dan. Yeah, the seedlings on their own root would barely cover the spines on one areole on the grafted plant. They're really tiny still!

And I changed my Strombocactus diciformis picture and removed the "offending" object. all better now :)