Areol grafts pups emerging from the stock

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
PhiloCacti

Areol grafts pups emerging from the stock

Post by PhiloCacti »

So last fall i grafted 4 areols ( 3 TBM, 1 "SS02 X pachanoi") mostly to SS02 X Bridgesii stock and 1 on a myrtillocactus. The stock was unrooted and i have never tried this before as i remember.

This spring all of the areols pupped but 2 of the 4 came out from beneath the areol from what seems like the core of the stock plant. This happened on the myrtillo stock and 1 of the "SS02 X Brodgesii" stocks.

I was wondering if this was normal?

Here are some pictures

this is how these pups emerge from beneath the areol, the stock is "SS02 X Bridgesii"

a few days later

this one emerged the same way and the stock is myrtillo

this one pupped normal and it's "SS02 X Pachanoi" grafted on "SS02 X Bridgesii"
gemhunter178

Re: Areol grafts pups emerging from the stock

Post by gemhunter178 »

Cool! some areole grafts do tend to do that. Still cool though!
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
phil_SK

Post by phil_SK »

The apical meristem of cacti is often buried lower down into the stem than it seems! I suspect that when you beheaded the stock you did so too high up to remove the apical meristem which has recovered.
m4rkz0r

Post by m4rkz0r »

phil_SK wrote:The apical meristem of cacti is often buried lower down into the stem than it seems! I suspect that when you beheaded the stock you did so too high up to remove the apical meristem which has recovered.

On the 3nd picture he posted he says the stock is a myrtillo stock. The pup emerging is clearly not a myrtillo pup so it must be growth from the grafted aereola. It certainly is strange to see though. I've grafted a few tricho aereolas and mine have never started growth like that. However...

When I graft seedlings I often trying grafting both ends of the seedling and I've had a few that pup from under the scion; one was an astrophytum asterias and it put out 3 heads from under the grafted seedling. I've also had an astrophytum caput-medusae tentacle I grafted on mytillo that pupped from under the graft as well. I don't know how common it is though.
"Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted."
--Aldous Huxley
PhiloCacti

Post by PhiloCacti »

thanks gemhunter

phil - m4rkz0r is right, i highly doubt that the pup is that of the stock, the areol on the myrtillo had the same pattern of pupping and the pup is a TBM, however with the "SS02 X Bridgesii" stock it won't be clear since both the stock and the graft are of bridgesii origin and i won't be able to tell what the pup from the spines but only after it grows more.

here they are today

kind of looks like a TBM pup,

and here is the one on the myrtillo, it pupped the same way
FingerPrickinFun

Post by FingerPrickinFun »

I really needed to see this. I have a few tiny scions that are probably dead because their graft didn't take. On the other hand.... they haven't turned black or fallen off, they just look dehydrated. They're about he size of that areole, maybe smaller. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that their's a surprise brewing underneath...
paulzie32

Post by paulzie32 »

Did the areole look dried out and dead before this happened? I'm asking because I just grafted three areoles off a dying plant and they all looked dead but after plucking the first one off, it appeared to be attached pretty good! I left one to see what happens.
Image I wasn't raised a Cactolic but converted to Cactolicism later in life ImageImage
cactiman

Post by cactiman »

wow I had no idea you could graft just areol. To bad I have watched some cactus die slowly I could have grafted them. yay for learning.
paulzie32

Post by paulzie32 »

cactiman wrote:To bad I have watched some cactus die slowly I could have grafted them. yay for learning.
Yeah... when I learned it was do-able, I have tried several times. But, every time,the areoles dried out or turned black so I just knocked them off and used the rootstock for something else. but looking at the pictures above, it seems that's what happens as every successful one above has what appears to be a dried out areole.
guess I was too impatient
Image I wasn't raised a Cactolic but converted to Cactolicism later in life ImageImage
kykeion

Post by kykeion »

phil_SK wrote:The apical meristem of cacti is often buried lower down into the stem than it seems! ...
As an example of this, in the attached photo (poor quality, sorry) you can see spines growing on the stock (just below the scion, on the middle beveled rib) which grew in the area that was beveled to make room for the graft.

Though in your case I believe it is the scion growing, not the stock
Attachments
IMG_20130719_161028_247.jpg
IMG_20130719_161028_247.jpg (28.17 KiB) Viewed 3516 times
kykeion

Post by kykeion »

Wow, sorry to revive a thread from a year ago. I didn't realize I was looking at posts from that far back... So I guess I should ask if you have any updates on these :wink: