Some of my first grafts: wow they grow fast!

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
bett

Some of my first grafts: wow they grow fast!

Post by bett »

So I finally got a hold of some Pereskiopsis the other month and started some grafts. The gymno pups I wanted to graft ended up dying, but I had had them sitting around too long I think. I'd had them for at least 2 months before I brought them home to graft and since they were chlorophylless mutants, I guess they didn't like the wait.
Anyway, I made some other grafts afterwards, and they're all doing great now. I was really surprised how well two of them have done so far! For scale, the Pereskiopsis are approximately a centimeter or so in diameter.

Austrocylindropuntia sublata monstrose grafted onto Pereskiopsis spathulata. The picture was taken about a week after grafting and the graft was made on September 7th. Didn't sterilize anything since I was at my university greenhouse and didn't have anything more than old razors there.

Here's the other graft I made on the same day as the previous one, with the picture taken about a week after grafting. This one's a Pereskiopsis apical bud grafted onto a slice of the A. sublata monstrose grafted onto the Pereskiopsis rootstock. I wanted to see if the monstrose would get passed onto the Pereskiopsis, as it had for someone else on the forums.

And here's both grafts on October 7th, 4 weeks after grafting, and 3 weeks after taking the above pictures.
The scion is starting to show that sectioning that is present on mature A. sublata.

Not showing any monstrose growth yet!

The A. sublata scion came from this plant, Image but it's starting to look more like a mixture between that and the old one we have at the greenhouse! Image
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

though your scions are fast growing species, you're doing a great job!
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
paulzie32

Post by paulzie32 »

Wow! Congrats Bett! Looking Good! Now you need to try something else... some seedlings of Mammillaria or something. Did I send you any seeds?
I read somewhere that the Native people (from where O. subulata is from) harvest those leaves and eat them. You have a lot there, you may want to try them :)
Image I wasn't raised a Cactolic but converted to Cactolicism later in life ImageImage
bett

Post by bett »

Yep, you sent me some seeds. I'll have to try grafting some when I eventually sow them and get some seedlings. I have a bunch more of the Pereskiopsis that I'm growing separately. I have one at home that I grafted a variegated Opuntia monacantha pup to. It hasn't started growing much yet, seems to be a bit slow to take off. Might need more light or something.