Partially crested Loph seedling

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
crispy224

Partially crested Loph seedling

Post by crispy224 »

Here are some pictures of my partially crested Loph seedling on Pereskiopsis. The crested section is nearly 2.5cm long. With the other side just looking like a regular round Loph. Has anyone seen this? You can really see the regular growth in the last photo. I imagine if I wait until the crested side is bigger and then rgraft onto trichocereus I will be able to keep the crest growing.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (69.31 KiB) Viewed 2768 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (71.58 KiB) Viewed 2768 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (62.87 KiB) Viewed 2768 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (72.98 KiB) Viewed 2768 times
williamsii823

Re: Partially crested Loph seedling

Post by williamsii823 »

Very Interesting1
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

You may have to watch the reversion to normal growth as they often grow at the expense of the cristate. If it does you can eventually cut that part off and either root it down or re-graft it.

Never tried it, but I believe you can section parts of a cristate and re-graft them to produce more plants, or simply re-graft the whole cristate. You could even cut off the overhanging end of the cristate and try grafting that leaving the centre part still growing on the Pereskiopsis, which should continue to grow in a fan shape, eventually producing more propagation material.

If you want to root them down, this one is a bit bigger than yours but the principles the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smjy3PZWA8s
crispy224

Post by crispy224 »

I really wish it was fully crested. I wonder if I slice off the regular growth if all the growth will go towards the crest
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

As said, reversions usually grow at the expense of the crested growth. When the season and conditions are right for rooting you could slice off the normal growth and root it down, leaving the rest on the stock for the time being to continue growing cristate. May be a bit ugly at first having a large cut surface which you may need to treat with sulphur or charcoal, but being a small plant should grow out after a time.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=qzW ... es&f=false