Driller64's Grafting Log

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Robb

Re: Driller64's Grafting Log

Post by Robb »

Driller64 wrote: Blossfeldia will probably be the most difficult to graft because they are the worlds smallest cactus, but Strombocactus apparently only gets 1 mm in length after a month!
I started some Bloss and strombo seeds this year, and so far I have had fairly good results. I think the key to growing bloss from seeds is to sterilize absolutely everything, and to keep them in the propagator for as long as possible. I have heard of people keeping them in there for up to 4 years! Strombocactus are quite slow (although not as slow as blossfeldias or aztekuims) but again, if you properly sterilize, keep them growing under lights and give them heat, you can get some reasonably good growth rates. Good luck!
Buying a cactus a day will keep the madness away.
Driller64

Post by Driller64 »

I think the hardest part (or one of the hardest parts) of grafting is having to wait the allotted time for the cactus to heal and having to resist the urge to unravel the graft too early. You just want to see if your graft has succeeded without having to wait 7+ days!
Say no to drugs, say yes to cacti
promethean_spark

Post by promethean_spark »

I'm one of those guys with blossfeldia still in the bag from 2/4/2011. The biggest is the size of a dime and has an offset. They have not flowered, but I think that's because the artificial lights in my propagator don't trigger their seasonal flowering response. Blossfeldia likes it fairly moist (compared to say ariocarpus), and will die if it dries out too much. Strombocactus and aztekium take dry spells better.

I find that it's easier to graft these types of cacti if you grow them in a bag for 2 years to get them to the size of a 'normal' seedling, then try grafting them. I had 180% success with strombocactus doing it that way (I grafted tops and bottoms and nearly doubled the number of plants). 2 years later the grafts are the size of ping-pong balls and flowering all summer.
jp29

Post by jp29 »

Saxicola wrote:.................... When I make the cut I start with the rootstock first. I cut off the top, then I make a second cut just below the first cut. Basically I make a thin flap of tissue as a cover to keep it moist, but is easy to quickly remove when I am ready. Then I cut the seedling and immediately take off the flap on the Pereskiopsis and put the two plants together, making sure the seedling overlaps the vascular ring of the rootstock. I avoid touching the cut part of either plant with my hands to reduce contamination ....................
Yes, I have used that methodolgy for many years with great success (except I don't use Pereskiopsis for grafting stock).
James
My cactus cultivation pages:
https://jp29.org/cactuscult.htm Image
Driller64

Post by Driller64 »

T. pachanoi seeds came today. Gonna sow them tomorrow and hope to have some more guinea pigs soon :)
Driller64

Post by Driller64 »

I thought the Opuntia graft was done for cause the scion shriveled, but today it definitely looks like it pumped up. Could it be, my first successful graft that actually stays alive? :O
snarfie

Post by snarfie »

I hope so. Photo?
My first successfull graft still isn't growing. It's grafted for over six weeks now.
Young professional amateur in Schlumbergera and Rhipsalidopsis growing and hybridizing
Driller64

Post by Driller64 »

Strombocactus disciformis seeds came today. I sowed 14 or so of them in a pure mineral mix sterilized in the microwave for 2 minutes. I also put some fungicide (Captan) in the pot for good measure. I also threw some in my seedling scion pot, but they may not live very long because the seedlings are picky.

ALSO, the Opuntia graft:
image.jpg
image.jpg (56.08 KiB) Viewed 2301 times
HP22B

Post by HP22B »

snarfie wrote:I hope so. Photo?
My first successfull graft still isn't growing. It's grafted for over six weeks now.
Is the stock okay? Hopefully there isn't root damage.
snarfie

Post by snarfie »

That looks good driller :)

HP, It may be starting to grow now, but i'm not totally sure. It is pereskiopsis on opuntia subulata monstruosa. The whole plant started growing again a week ago, so maybe it is that the pereskiopsis grafted on top had to get used to the opuntia first. It is still firm, and bonded nicely, and it looks like it's growing, but i'm just not 100% sure.
Young professional amateur in Schlumbergera and Rhipsalidopsis growing and hybridizing
Driller64

Post by Driller64 »

I grafted my last remaining T. pachanoi seedling onto a Pereskiopsis cutting yesterday. I had the seedling stick to the blade and put a cup with a little water sprayed in it as humidity. Shortly after I did some reorganizing of my plant area, and doing that while trying not to hit the graft was like pulling a contortionist act or something :lol:
Driller64

Post by Driller64 »

The long awaited Blossfeldia liliputana seeds arrived yesterday! I'm gonna sow them today when I get home. Got some sterilized soil and a pot to go with it. The Strombocactus seeds still haven't come up yet, but it's only been four days so that's expected. Also when people say don't open the bag until two years, do they mean never open the bag not even to check on the seeds or seedlings or are you allowed to open the bag for those little seconds of time?
snarfie

Post by snarfie »

I guess they really mean never, because if you open it, air from outside the bag will get in, and maybe it contains mold or something.
HP22B

Post by HP22B »

You'll probably need to reapply moisture with a mister every few weeks or so, when I'm doing the baggie method my bags don't have any condensation droplets after about a week of sitting. That could also depend on the integrity of the bag you're using.
Driller64

Post by Driller64 »

The Opuntia graft seems to have taken as it is definitely pumping up. The only problem is the seedling seems to be getting sunburned! The side towards the light is turning purple. How do I fix this?