Seedling Scion Pot

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Driller64

Seedling Scion Pot

Post by Driller64 »

Just sowed a new batch of seedlings meant specifically for grafting. This means that rather than having to sacrifice seedlings that I want to survive (which is why I even grafted them in the first place) and having to spend money to replace them if the grafts fail, I will now just sow a second set of seeds in this pot so I will still have some seedlings to grow on their own roots if these grafts fail. I know I shouldn't mix seedlings but one also has space to consider so yeah. I'll just sow species that are distinct as seedlings in the pot so I will be able to know what species it is. The reason the pot is shallow is because the seedlings will not be needing their roots for much longer *cue evil laugh* :D The seeds currently sowed are 6-7 L. williamsii fricci seeds and 3 T. pachanoi seeds.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (56.35 KiB) Viewed 2055 times
Last edited by Driller64 on Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Say no to drugs, say yes to cacti
Robb

Re: Seedling Scion Pot

Post by Robb »

That's an excellent idea! Alternatively, you could just use the reject seedlings that you get with every batch.
Buying a cactus a day will keep the madness away.
Driller64

Post by Driller64 »

Robb wrote:Alternatively, you could just use the reject seedlings that you get with every batch.
Reject seedlings?
Robb

Post by Robb »

The seedlings that don't grow or are too small to be any use to you.
Buying a cactus a day will keep the madness away.
Driller64

Post by Driller64 »

Sprouts!
image.jpg
image.jpg (65.83 KiB) Viewed 1990 times
EDIT: Just sowed two more species in the pot, A. trigonus and A. ritteri. While Ariocarpus is still my favorite genus, Aztekium is if not pretty close to being the second. The only problem is the fact that they are the slowest growing cactus in the world. But grafting it to a Perskiopsis should change that :)
Driller64

Post by Driller64 »

I decided that I would start transplanting unneeded seedlings and runts into the grafting pot as a sort of purgatory for when I start grafting again (which could be a week from now or a month from now, who knows). The only thing I need to be worried about with that is accidentally burying seeds that have not germinated yet while transplanting them. Also I have sown some Geohintonia mexicana and A. fissuratus seeds in the pot today and some Lophorphora mix seeds that I sowed a while ago started germinating today.