Rooted an offset outside!

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
keithp2012

Rooted an offset outside!

Post by keithp2012 »

I brought a grafted yellow/orange cactus. A few offsets fell off and I placed them against my house where the dirt is full of clay and rocks in a sheltered spot, the weather has been in the 80's. A month later they have roots! I couldn't believe it, so I'm placing more outside to see if they will also root.
MagiCarpus

Re: Rooted an offset outside!

Post by MagiCarpus »

Unless these are variegated with occasional streaks of green, wouldn't they still eventually succumb to starvation without chlorophyll? Sorry, didn't mean to be a downer, but I'm curious wether this is actually possible.
I suck at identification :dontknow:
keithp2012

Post by keithp2012 »

MagiCarpus wrote:Unless these are variegated with occasional streaks of green, wouldn't they still eventually succumb to starvation without chlorophyll? Sorry, didn't mean to be a downer, but I'm curious wether this is actually possible.
So far it remains plump and healthy, we'll have to wait and see!
toadstar

Post by toadstar »

MagiCarpus wrote:Unless these are variegated with occasional streaks of green, wouldn't they still eventually succumb to starvation without chlorophyll? Sorry, didn't mean to be a downer, but I'm curious wether this is actually possible.
Yep. It'll linger on for quite a while but there won't be much if any growth.