What now?

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
Geo99

What now?

Post by Geo99 »

I am pretty pleased to say that my spontaneous propagating efforts have been some what successful!

I had heard it was pretty easy to get Christmas cacti leaves to root so I got a handful from a friend! 6 of the 8 leaves I took have grown themselves roots and now have new growth on the top! Hooray!

However, I have no idea what to do now. They're in a tray I have been using for propagation (an old strawberry punnet!) but it's getting pretty crowded, what with my two echevaria propagation attempts in there too.

Will they be okay to move to a smaller pot? They all have fairly substantial roots, but I don't want to disturb them too much, they're still pretty toty

Here they are:

Hello! I'm 19 and from the north coast of Scotland, I absolutely adore succulents, and plants in general! I don't know what I'm doing most of the time, but at least I'm having fun!
toadstar

Re: What now?

Post by toadstar »

They should be fine, they're pretty resilient plants. Just make sure the pot has good drainage.

snarfie

Post by snarfie »

They look great! I would keep them in the tray until the new leafs have matured. Then you could pot them up individually (or together, however i would not reccomend this, as it often results in several not-so-great looking plants instead of one healthy plant) and let them grow bigger. Also those aren't actually Christmas Cacti (also known as schlumbergera x buckleyi), but Easter Cacti (rhipsalidopsis x graeseri). As the name suggests they usually flower in spring or early summer, Judging by the color of the leafs they will flower either pink or orange ;)
A link to pics of mine, they're almost ready to flower now:
https://goo.gl/photos/L9YoSB2WBt9QfmJ47
Young professional amateur in Schlumbergera and Rhipsalidopsis growing and hybridizing
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

They tend to bloom only when they've got their pot well-filled with roots. I used to stick cuttings in small pots (3" or 8 cm), they'd usually bloom in 1 year. Full size flowers, too (you can put them in even smaller pots, but they get awful top-heavy with those big flowers). Then move them to one size larger pot, where they can grow for a few years. But don't do anything yet, do like snarfie says and wait until the new "leaves" mature.
Spence :mrgreen: