Aloe offsets

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
ElieEstephane

Aloe offsets

Post by ElieEstephane »

Hello,
I received this aloe yesterday as a gift. I thinks it's aloe perfoliata. Is this right?
Anyway, as you can see it has tons of offsets. Can i snap the offsets from the mother plant and root them?
Thank you
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
esp_imaging

Re: Aloe offsets

Post by esp_imaging »

Yes, Aloe perfoliata, although it's commonly called by its former name, A. mitriformis.

If you gently dig out and cut or snap off some of the outer offsets, they will probably already have good root systems.
Don't water them or the parent plant for several days afterwards, until damaged areas have healed over.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

esp_imaging wrote:Yes, Aloe perfoliata, although it's commonly called by its former name, A. mitriformis.

If you gently dig out and cut or snap off some of the outer offsets, they will probably already have good root systems.
Don't water them or the parent plant for several days afterwards, until damaged areas have healed over.
Thanks for your reply!
Im familiar with the propagatin process. however i was wondering if offsets with no roots at all can root? Im asking that because i know that haworthia offsets need to have roots.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

No, they don't need roots.
For that matter, neither do Haworthias, I'm not sure where you got that (incorrect) info from.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

They will establish much quicker if they have roots, but will root from cuttings. My experience was that half the leaves shriveled during the rooting process.
Spence :mrgreen: