Parodia magnifica cutting 4 years on

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
Grimm

Parodia magnifica cutting 4 years on

Post by Grimm »

About four years ago my housemate's Parodia magnifica had pups, the problem was that the main plant was etiolated with a terrible root system and the pups were uprooting it as they grew :shock: I decided to split the pups off, and take a cutting off the top of the main stem, taking advice off this site iirc.
I cut about an inch off the top, allowed it to callus, then smeared a tiny bit of water on the wound and quickly applied a thin layer of rooting compound. I placed it directly on soil, and topped off with a layer of gravel. I can't remember how long I left it without water, probably a month or two. After settling for a while it looked like this (its the big one at the back, the others are the pups):

Four years later, with two repots into larger pots, and it looks like this:

It's still not the right shape, but is far healthier than it used to be! It lives on a south-east facing window, albeit in a dense urban area with a large bush close to the window so there is some shadowing. Unfortunately it is also over a radiator, so doesn't winter properly, and it's never flowered :( Despite this, I'm still chuffed :) Without this site I don't think I would have ever thought of taking a cutting of a cactus!
snarfie

Re: Parodia magnifica cutting 4 years on

Post by snarfie »

Congrats, it's a lot better now ;)
Young professional amateur in Schlumbergera and Rhipsalidopsis growing and hybridizing