Echeveria Offset?

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
richs2k6

Echeveria Offset?

Post by richs2k6 »

I've seen offsets grow from the base of the plant which already contained their own roots but these look different. One is from an Echeveria 'Black Prince" and it looks like it is growing from the stalk. It looks like an offset and not a bloom if I'm not mistaken. The other is form an Echeveria 'Elegans", same story. Are these both offsets? If so, how do I propagate them? From what I've read you can just cut them off, let them callus over, lay them on top of dry soil and then all of a sudden they grow new roots. Well, I've done the same with leaf cuttings and they just shrivel away. I'm guessing that is because I didn't take fresh cuttings and only ones that were already in bad shape that I just wanted to pull off? Anyhow, should I just snip them off, let them callus over for a few days and then lay them on soil and mist them every few days until they start to grow roots? Would I have better luck wetting the soil after they've callused over, placing them on top and covering the pot with plastic wrap? Do they fair better with a lot of moisture in the air and in the soil but not necessarily on the plant itself? The Black Prince offset has shot up at least 3-4 inches, should I cut it an inch or so below the offset and then cut and discard the remainder of the stalk?
offset2.jpg
offset2.jpg (98.58 KiB) Viewed 2231 times
offset1.jpg
offset1.jpg (98.98 KiB) Viewed 2231 times
snarfie

Re: Echeveria Offset?

Post by snarfie »

The stalk on black prince looks like a confused flower stem. You can already see the buds in the middle. The offset on the elegans is probably just an offset.
Young professional amateur in Schlumbergera and Rhipsalidopsis growing and hybridizing
esp_imaging

Re: Echeveria Offset?

Post by esp_imaging »

E. elegans looks like an offset, I'd be surprised if the Black Prince isn't a flower spike. Time will tell.
Many (but not all) Echeverias grow easily from detached plump, healthy whole leaves. Old leaves that are already starting to dry up are going to be rather harder.

There is no hurry with offsets to detach them. Give them a few weeks and they will grow and be more able to get established on their own. They may well start to grow their own roots while still attached.

If the BP is making a flower spike, the leaves on it look pretty large so may be worth trying as leaf cuttings.

I find Crassulacae leaf and other cuttings normally establish themselves easily if left somewhere warm and a bit a shady, no need to water them until the roots sprout.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti