Propagating sulcorebutia

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
absolute0

Propagating sulcorebutia

Post by absolute0 »

I am getting a sulcorebutia cutting and the person giving it to me said it doesn't root easily. She planted a cutting and it's been six months already but still no roots. She suggested that I graft mine instead. Personally, I don't like the look of grafted cacti. Are sulcorebutias that difficult to propagate?
snarfie

Re: Propagating sulcorebutia

Post by snarfie »

They indeed are difficult. You could also graft it on a 'low' stock, one that you don't see when planted. But if you're not experienced with grafting you have a big risk of losing it because it will rot or won't connect properly to the stock.
Young professional amateur in Schlumbergera and Rhipsalidopsis growing and hybridizing
mdpillet

Post by mdpillet »

You could try to make a fresh cut and apply some rooting hormone, depending on the size of the pup.
absolute0

Post by absolute0 »

So I got the Sulcorebutia cutting and it turns out to be really small. It's like the first segment of my pinky finger, barely an inch long. Would it be possible to graft something this small? Or should I just try to plant it on the soil and wait and hope for it to root?
image.jpg
image.jpg (77.2 KiB) Viewed 3395 times
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

I would say grafting it would be a better option I had several offsets this size and all failed to root and just dried up.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
7george

Post by 7george »

Yes, these are hard to root. The size is decent, Sulcorebutias are small cacti. Cut it in half and graft both parts.

The best case is when roots appear before detaching the offset but not all species do this.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
absolute0

Post by absolute0 »

Thanks everyone. Based on your inputs, I have decided to graft mine.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

I have a Sulcorebutia rauschii that has about 5 offsets ... so I am VERY interested in what kind of luck you have, and what, exactly, it was that you did, in trying to root yours. If you have a response to this for me, you can just post a reply as I have set the flag to be notified if anyone replies, OR, you can PM me ... either way ... or nothing ... I truly don't want to intrude in anyone's life or time.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
jfabiao

Post by jfabiao »

I'm going to be the odd one here, but I have no problem rooting Sulcorebutia cuttings, except for S. rauschii: that one is a bit hit and miss, but I still get a decent number of cuttings to root. Our (high) temperatures probably play some part in my success, and the only other different thing may be the rooting medium. I use crushed lava rock, screened to approximately 2-5mm, and I set the cuttings to root on a tray under the bench. I can't tell you how long it takes, probably a lot, but I loose very few of them if any at all.
Z, in (mostly) sunny Lisbon.
http://jardineiroazelha.blogspot.pt/