Moon Cactus

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
Malibu99

Moon Cactus

Post by Malibu99 »

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but is there any way to get a moon cactus pup to survive on it's own without grafting? Is there a certain fertilizer that could be used to deliver nutrients to the plant? The moon cactus in question is a red/yellow colored moon cactus (no chlorophyll) with a bunch of pups on it. One pup fell off and I don't know what to do with it, I attempted to graft it but I'm not sure it'll work. Plus there are a bunch of other pups that are taking over the mother plant and I don't know that I can find enough cacti to graft them all. Thank you in advance.
greenknight

Re: Moon Cactus

Post by greenknight »

If they have no chlorophyll, they won't survive unless grafted.
Spence :mrgreen:
Ron43

Post by Ron43 »

http://www.cactuscollection.com/info/cacti/grafted.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Malibu99

Post by Malibu99 »

Thank you, I have done a bunch of research on them but I was wondering if fertilizer could replace photosynthesis. The cactus I grafted seems to be doing okay, hopefully it stays that way.
snarfie

Post by snarfie »

I think it won't work, as fertilizer is added to speed up growth, so it probably makes it easier for the plant to photosynthesize. If you want to grow those on their own roots you could try in vitro.
Young professional amateur in Schlumbergera and Rhipsalidopsis growing and hybridizing