How do I root a tiny cactus pup?

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
keithp2012

How do I root a tiny cactus pup?

Post by keithp2012 »

It's variegated and the size of a pea.

Do I let th bottom callous, for how long? Do I water it and how often, or will it root from not watering? I don't want it to rot or dehydrate.
george76904

Re: How do I root a tiny cactus pup?

Post by george76904 »

2 things what kind of cactus? Also how was it removed? Did it fall off or cut, get cut off?
I would recommend neglect as the best way to root it. I leave mine in vermiculite for a few months till they have roots. A varigated one may do better grafted, but again the kind, or a picture of it would be useful.
keithp2012

Post by keithp2012 »

george76904 wrote:2 things what kind of cactus? Also how was it removed? Did it fall off or cut, get cut off?
I would recommend neglect as the best way to root it. I leave mine in vermiculite for a few months till they have roots. A varigated one may do better grafted, but again the kind, or a picture of it would be useful.
Gymnocalycium mihanovichii, the parent plant rotted so I gently pulled it off hoping it survives by rooting.
jmoney

Post by jmoney »

I would think that it wouldn't take but a couple days to callous because the surface would be 'wound' would be very small. I took a similar pup, the size of a pea or smaller, and recently stuck it in a tiny 2" pot to root. This pup fell off the parent plant. I don't 'water' it in a traditional sense but rather mist it every few days just until the surface area of the soil begin to slightly dampen.
Budding cactus enthusiast

Twitter: jmoneypn
Instagram: jmoneypn
keithp2012

Post by keithp2012 »

jmoney wrote:I would think that it wouldn't take but a couple days to callous because the surface would be 'wound' would be very small. I took a similar pup, the size of a pea or smaller, and recently stuck it in a tiny 2" pot to root. This pup fell off the parent plant. I don't 'water' it in a traditional sense but rather mist it every few days just until the surface area of the soil begin to slightly dampen.
Ok I will try that.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I agree with jmoney. The wound is small, plus the tissue of the joint is adapted for quick healing and rooting, and there's less cell damage from pulling it off than from cutting. It doesn't need much healing time.
Spence :mrgreen: