Help with growing (if even possible)

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
degiorgi

Help with growing (if even possible)

Post by degiorgi »

Hi, one of my cacti unfortunately rotted, and what i am left with is this in the photo attached. The body was similar to the other attached photo, i unfortunately don't have my own photo so i found one one google. The part i have in my hand was like a "head", like the red thing is on the other picture

This has happened about a week ago, since then this has been drying. Any advise on what i should do, and if i can even regrow from this or not? Thanks
Attachments
FB_IMG_1437466628458.jpg
FB_IMG_1437466628458.jpg (36.63 KiB) Viewed 1620 times
FB_IMG_1437466635395.jpg
FB_IMG_1437466635395.jpg (37.22 KiB) Viewed 1620 times
caj.jpg
caj.jpg (17.21 KiB) Viewed 1620 times
greenknight

Re: Help with growing (if even possible)

Post by greenknight »

It was a grafted cactus, and the stock it was grafted on to rotted.

It may be possible to save it, if the rot hasn't spread up the middle of it too far. You need to take a clean, sharp knife and slice off the bottom of it. If you see any discoloration in the part above the cut, anything but green or white, sterilize the knife with alcohol and slice off some more.

Once you've removed any trace of rot, if there's anything left try to grow it as a cutting. Here's a site that explains the technique - http://www.cactusinfo.net/propagation.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The reason for beveling the edges of the cut is to prevent cupping - the inside of the cactus will shrink more than the skin as it dries, this will make a hollow in the bottom of the cutting if it's cut straight which makes it hard to get good soil contact. Having an air space under the cutting is not good.
Spence :mrgreen:
degiorgi

Re: Help with growing (if even possible)

Post by degiorgi »

Thanks a lot for the help, will try to do it like that :)