Echeveria "Black Prince" offset questions

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
abohm

Echeveria "Black Prince" offset questions

Post by abohm »

I recently repotted my black prince and noticed a small offset growing in between the "mother plant" and another offset. Since it's mostly hidden from the sun this way, I was wondering if there might be any way I can remove the offset in front and plant it in its own pot? I read a blog post where someone tried a similar operation, only he removed and replanted the top part of the plant. If this is possible, how should I go about doing it? Or would it be better to just let remain as it is?

Here are a couple pictures:
Attachments
You can see the smaller offset in the middle of the two, here.
You can see the smaller offset in the middle of the two, here.
11356110_1586728588260056_1099533526_n.jpg (61.64 KiB) Viewed 2454 times
The whole plant.
The whole plant.
11119950_1586728584926723_568352883_n.jpg (102.1 KiB) Viewed 2454 times
snarfie

Re: Echeveria "Black Prince" offset questions

Post by snarfie »

I would take the two smaller ones off and let them dry if they don't have roots, and if they have, pot them.
Young professional amateur in Schlumbergera and Rhipsalidopsis growing and hybridizing
IdleDaisy

Post by IdleDaisy »

I'm doing something similar with one of my echeveria at the moment, I had a large plant whose offshoot was competing for sun with the mother plant. I cut off the offshoot, let it callous over, then replanted. Still waiting on the results for the baby but the mother plant is much happier already :)
abohm

Post by abohm »

I'm back! After a little research and help from you guys, I went ahead and severed the larger offset in the front. I saw a lot of people immediately put the offset into soil after removing it, so I did that rather than letting it callus over first. I think that should be okay?

Also, in the process of removing the offset a few leaves fell off in the shuffle, so I decided to let those set for some time until roots begin to form. Right now I have them sitting out on a paper towel, but I've also seen a lot of people leaving them on top of the soil to do their thing... should I leave them on the paper towel for a while, or put them on soil? I heard that the leaves can sometimes rot if left on soil, so I wanted to make sure first.

Thanks! Here's a picture from today:
Attachments
Screen shot 2015-06-02 at 1.57.31 PM.png
Screen shot 2015-06-02 at 1.57.31 PM.png (495.15 KiB) Viewed 2407 times
snarfie

Post by snarfie »

I always put the leafs on top of the soil, and when roots start to form, i place them in the soil
Young professional amateur in Schlumbergera and Rhipsalidopsis growing and hybridizing