Saguaro cactus cutting re-rooting, cut to cold??

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
Honzster

Saguaro cactus cutting re-rooting, cut to cold??

Post by Honzster »

A local cacti grower gave me a saguaro cutting from a plant that was in a greenhouse that lost its power for a night (or 2, don't know, live in the Midwest, so it can get cold at night). The cutting is about 18" long and 4"-5" in diameter. The cactus looked healthy, a darkish green skin, but when the base was cut it looked dark green-brownish, not the bright green that i have seen from pics on the internet. That was a week ago, I wish I would have taken a picture of it then. But I didn't. I have a picture of it now, a week later, callused over and wanted to get peoples opinion on the forum if they think it will root, or if anyone has any tips on how I could improve the rooting success. Also, the brown that is around the base on the skin of the cactus is slowly moving up the stalk. This picture was taken about a week ago and it has moved maybe 1/8"-1/4" farther up the green part of the stalk. Is the normal? Does anyone have suggestions on rooting hormones or fertilizers? I am new to cacti growing and really interested in all aspects of cacti. Thanks for the suggestions and help!
Honzster
Attachments
cutting about a week post cut.
cutting about a week post cut.
saguaro1.JPG (64.62 KiB) Viewed 2229 times
HP22B

Re: Saguaro cactus cutting re-rooting, cut to cold??

Post by HP22B »

I've heard that it's basically worthless getting saguaro cuttings to root. Good luck to you though.
peterb

Post by peterb »

Some saguaro stems will root, but then they don't grow. It's strange but true: Saguaros do not grow from cuttings. I'm not sure why not.

peterb
Zone 9
Honzster

Post by Honzster »

What about with the use of growth hormones or cytokines? Such as IBA, NAA for rooting or BAP to induce branching, any experience?