lithop split..idk if id call it a cutting or offset but ...

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
KittieKAT

lithop split..idk if id call it a cutting or offset but ...

Post by KittieKAT »

Figured I'd see if anyone could help me out in here.

So this lithop that i saved from being drowned by a store (who was splitting into new leaves btw) was so wet it was getting soggy, i dried it out the best i could and figured it would prob shed any damage. Soo initially i only saw one head peeking thru the crease but i noticed it was a little small for the Size of the original lithop (you kno long and fat) prob from people being careless and not enough light. But it appeared to be thickand fat for a lithop i figured it was an older plant that's why.

Anyhow, so i thought maybe the damage screwed up its growth pattern and it is smaller cause they had the soil soaked while it was just trying to take the energy from the old leaves, so it may have stunned the growth. But then today peeling away one side of the paper skin covering a little bit of the new smaller leaves i then realized that there was another head on they other side! But this one was a lot shorter then they other side that i first saw growing when i saved it.

Here's now my question .. is it okay that they're two different heights? Mine have always been pretty similar in height and size when double headed. Also, do you think they are fine evenThoe they are a little Skinner/smaller then the actually plant was before shedding and was that due to the water?
And should i water them now that the skin outta peeled off or should i wait a little bit to make sure they are okay, cause i haven't seen/noticed them getting any bigger ?

I think that they have prematurely shedded there skin due to the water damage from the store, so I'm not sure i should touch them.

It does make more sense that there is two heads instead of just one NOW that i compare the size the plant use to be.

Ones about an inch or Less higher then they other Head on theplant, and like i said they are pretty shrunken looking, but i can't see any damage that is still present after shedding the skin....

If anyone ccan help me out and give me some answers let me kno thanks
KittieKAT

Re: lithop split..idk if id call it a cutting or offset but

Post by KittieKAT »

And by shrunken i don't mean withered and wrinkled i mean that they are very small for supposedly sucking up all the leaves old energy, or I'm thinking they haven't taken that energy because the damage forced them to miss out on that
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Finally able to take a picture, here is what I'm taking about.
See how small they are? See how one is taller then they other?
Attachments
CAM01774.jpg
CAM01774.jpg (42.78 KiB) Viewed 2537 times
CAM01773.jpg
CAM01773.jpg (38.02 KiB) Viewed 2537 times
snarfie

Post by snarfie »

They now look okay to me, and here they are long from shedding the old leafs, they actually are still outside here, the poor things
Young professional amateur in Schlumbergera and Rhipsalidopsis growing and hybridizing
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

This one's inside my house under a grow light, my others are in my Sun porch that pretty cold right now, will be moving al my plants inside soon. Soon some o my other ones will be shedding their skins Cause they are getting wrinkly
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

But this guy looks okay right?
snarfie

Post by snarfie »

Yeah it looks like it is doing fine now
Young professional amateur in Schlumbergera and Rhipsalidopsis growing and hybridizing
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Should i give them a drink or leave them dry thru winter, or just give them a little squirt of water to keep the roots alive?
Cause i think it's cycle got disturbed from the water damage at the store so it's leaves died and dried alot sooner then they naturally would have naturally.
snarfie

Post by snarfie »

I think you should only water them a little if they are soft due to a lack of water
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

He's starting to sink a little lower into the perlite and looking a bit sad looking, I'll maybe give a small squirt if any