Mammillaria vetula ssp. gracilis offsets

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
emilleejoyce

Mammillaria vetula ssp. gracilis offsets

Post by emilleejoyce »

I just bought a mammillaria vetula gracilis and while it was in transit and also while I was potting it, several of the offsets feel off of the plant. The biggest offset is propbably the size of the end of my pinky finger. I know this is a species which offsets regularly and easily and I was hoping to root these offsets but I don't know how or if they are big enough to root. Can someone offer some advice? I have never tried propagating cacti this way!
snarfie

Re: Mammillaria vetula ssp. gracilis offsets

Post by snarfie »

Oh never mind, they will root super easy if you put them in damp soil. I've had nine offsets just falling if, and when i found them i just put them somewhere and they will grow
Young professional amateur in Schlumbergera and Rhipsalidopsis growing and hybridizing
KittieKAT

Re: Mammillaria vetula ssp. gracilis offsets

Post by KittieKAT »

I just pot them up and they started to root very easily, I'n fact sometimes i just toss them in to the pot with the rest of the plant and push them in the soil a bit and they root and start getting bigger and multiplying from the top forming new babies that i will eventually knock off by accident lol