Prickly Pear Catus - When to cut?

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
Cactor

Prickly Pear Catus - When to cut?

Post by Cactor »

Hopefully this is not a repeat, but I recently bought a prickly pear cactus and it's already growing a new pad. Would you recommend letting it grow or can I cut off the pad (once it's mature, of course) and grow a clone?

Side note: It's really hard researching about prickly pear because all I can find are recipes. :P
oldcat61

Re: Prickly Pear Catus - When to cut?

Post by oldcat61 »

If you want care info, google by its proper name - Opuntia. Common names are just too imprecise & confusing. If you post a photo, we can tell you which Opuntia it is & any special advice.
Cactor

Post by Cactor »

oldcat61 wrote:If you want care info, google by its proper name - Opuntia. Common names are just too imprecise & confusing. If you post a photo, we can tell you which Opuntia it is & any special advice.
Here's a picture. Sorry if the lighting is a problem.

Brunãozinho

Post by Brunãozinho »

If you want to propagate many clones you can just wait for this pad to mature, then you can chop it into pieces, small pieces will root and develop new pads, these pieces should have preferrably more than two areoles each. Also you should wait for them to callous before planting.
Bruno
Cactor

Post by Cactor »

Brunãozinho wrote:If you want to propagate many clones you can just wait for this pad to mature, then you can chop it into pieces, small pieces will root and develop new pads, these pieces should have preferrably more than two areoles each. Also you should wait for them to callous before planting.

How well do these cuttings "heal"? Like, will it eventually become a round pad or will it have noticeable slices? I've never cut a cactus before, so I'm not sure what the results would be. :P
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

Not sure why you're so intent on making clones of this one pad. Why not let it mature & make a beautiful plant before you turn it into a brood mare? Sue
Cactor

Post by Cactor »

oldcat61 wrote:Not sure why you're so intent on making clones of this one pad. Why not let it mature & make a beautiful plant before you turn it into a brood mare? Sue
I'm just excited because I didn't expect it to grow a new pad so soon. I'm not sure what to do with it, so that's why I asked here. My only worries is that it will off-center the pot and start tipping.