I'm confused

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
Andi

I'm confused

Post by Andi »

I have a Spring flowering cactus (Spring flowering version of the Christmas cactus) that I bought on clearance last Spring. I noticed the other day it has sprouts that look like a different species of cactus (which I don't have). I'm baffled as to how this would be possible. Could it be that the Spring flowering cactus was grafted onto a different species that was cut to have the same appearance as the Spring flowering cactus? There is scaring on each of the bottom sections. I'm not sure why they would bother. I've never had a problem starting new plants from cuttings. Here's some pics.

ImageImageImage
orion

Re: I'm confused

Post by orion »

Could it be that the Spring flowering cactus was grafted onto a different species that was cut to have the same appearance as the Spring flowering cactus?
It sure looks like it is grafted on to a Hylocereus stock.
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

No, it's the same plant: Flat-stemmed cacti (Epiphytes?) are rarely/never grafted for home improvement stores (judging from the label). These "many ribbed" stems occasionally grow, to my experience, near the bottom of the plants and are just reverted to their juvenile states (Their seedlings should have segments like this if grow from seed) ....they should grow "normal" stems in a couple of segments.
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
Andi

Post by Andi »

Thank you
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

Different stem segments grown in different conditions can look completely different. Just one of those quirky things epiphytic cacti do.
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog