young cactus problems

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
xjs

young cactus problems

Post by xjs »

I hope someone can help me! I was given a cutting of a cactus last year, its only about an inch or so high and I’m not sure which one it is, I have had a look at the varieties of cactus but haven’t worked out which one mine is, I think it will be one of the typical round spikey cacti when grown (no leaves etc).

When I got it, it was already in a pot and I left it on a south facing window ledge and put water in the bottom of the pot once a week and it seemed completely fine. Recently I have noticed its gone brown, I have renewed the compost it was in (I got cactus compost from garden centre), the roots seem fine! As per the instructions on the compost bag I haven’t watered it since repotting (repotted it about a week ago.) While I was in the garden centre they had a cactus drip feed which I also purchased but haven’t put that in either yet.

Any recommendations on why it is sick and how I can help it?
adetheproducer

Re: young cactus problems

Post by adetheproducer »

A picture would be great but possibly got too wet. I would suggest mixing some grit into the soil to make it faster draining and quicker to dry out. The problem with bought cactus soil us it is usually too rich in organic elements. Check out the cultivation section thete is plenty to read about soils.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND