Cuttings of Opuntia !

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
frenchopuntia45

Cuttings of Opuntia !

Post by frenchopuntia45 »

Hi everybody !

Are there any european collectors of opuntia in this forum ? I would want to swap cuttings of uncommon species with them. I can send a list of what can I swap... Have a good day, Emmanuel
coltonschultz

Re: Cuttings of Opuntia !

Post by coltonschultz »

Emmanuel,
You may want to move this topic to the plant swap section, I posted there to try and find some pereskiopsis and immediately got some replies.
Cheers,
Colton
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

I have a few Opuntiads, but not many Opuntia s.s.
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
frenchopuntia45

coltonschultz wrote:Emmanuel,
You may want to move this topic to the plant swap section, I posted there to try and find some pereskiopsis and immediately got some replies.
Cheers,
Colton
Thank you very much, Colton. It's very nice to give me this advice. I'm new on this forum and I'm going to put my message on the good forum... Cheers, Emmanuel :)
frenchopuntia45

CactusFanDan wrote:I have a few Opuntiads, but not many Opuntia s.s.
HI Fandan,

Thanks for your answer. I have about 130 species of Opuntia. What species do you have to swap, please ? Best Regards, Emmanuel :wink:
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

That's awesome, fo45! Do you perpetually wear "Armour-All" & just the athletic spray "Tough Skin"! :D ? What Zone are you in? Somewhere in that 130 species, you must have some cold-hardy's that I don't. Maybe you can send some "Research Material" in June! :wink:
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
frenchopuntia45

hoteidoc wrote:That's awesome, fo45! Do you perpetually wear "Armour-All" & just the athletic spray "Tough Skin"! :D ? What Zone are you in? Somewhere in that 130 species, you must have some cold-hardy's that I don't. Maybe you can send some "Research Material" in June! :wink:

Hi,

I live in France and I'm very disappointed that you live in the United States ! Sending plants between our two countries is impossible. Thanks for your mail and have fun with your plants. Best Regards, Emmanuel :(
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Not impossible -- just have to accept "possibility" of confiscation, hence the "research material" label. Have sent pads to Mexico & Canada. Other people on the Forum to other (non-Euro) countries. I'd say Opuntia probably not high on the "radar", even if opened. But whatever you're comfortable (or not) with :-k Still fun to know other people willing to accept "glochids" as coming with the (Opuntia) territory :lol: Took me a couple years to accept their hardiness as a reason to grow them.
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

I'll have to see what Opuntiads I have for trade. Probably mainly things like Maihueniopsis, Cumulopuntia, Tephrocactus and the like. :P I'm not really interested in large Opuntias or typical Opuntia species, more the miniatures like I listed above. :)
hoteidoc wrote:Not impossible -- just have to accept "possibility" of confiscation, hence the "research material" label. Have sent pads to Mexico & Canada. Other people on the Forum to other (non-Euro) countries. I'd say Opuntia probably not high on the "radar", even if opened. But whatever you're comfortable (or not) with :-k Still fun to know other people willing to accept "glochids" as coming with the (Opuntia) territory :lol: Took me a couple years to accept their hardiness as a reason to grow them.
Avoid sending any soil. Customs folks don't like soil as they can harbour all kinds of nasties. :P
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
frenchopuntia45

CactusFanDan wrote:I'll have to see what Opuntiads I have for trade. Probably mainly things like Maihueniopsis, Cumulopuntia, Tephrocactus and the like. :P I'm not really interested in large Opuntias or typical Opuntia species, more the miniatures like I listed above. :)
hoteidoc wrote:Not impossible -- just have to accept "possibility" of confiscation, hence the "research material" label. Have sent pads to Mexico & Canada. Other people on the Forum to other (non-Euro) countries. I'd say Opuntia probably not high on the "radar", even if opened. But whatever you're comfortable (or not) with :-k Still fun to know other people willing to accept "glochids" as coming with the (Opuntia) territory :lol: Took me a couple years to accept their hardiness as a reason to grow them.
Avoid sending any soil. Customs folks don't like soil as they can harbour all kinds of nasties. :P
Hi,

Thanks but I have only large Opuntias... Sorry ! :idea:
frenchopuntia45

Yes we are a little crazy to make growing these plants ! But I like skines... In fact, I'm afraid that we've problems with Customs. What species do you make cuttings ? :shock:
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Pretty routine, since the CH stuff beds are only 2 or 3 yrs old with several more "mini" & a couple of larger ones (hopefully) getting done this Summer. Have several O. fragilis cv's, fragilis X polyacantha's, ellisiana (potted, not in-ground yet) erinaceae ursina, humifusa (1st & oldest), polyacantha, started basilaris late Summer (the "iffyest" with our moisture & temp), standard CH chollas (acanthocarpa, echinocarp, imbricata, spinsior, whipplei). A few look OK, several -- not so good. Chollas are for deer-protection.
frenchopuntia45

hoteidoc wrote:Pretty routine, since the CH stuff beds are only 2 or 3 yrs old with several more "mini" & a couple of larger ones (hopefully) getting done this Summer. Have several O. fragilis cv's, fragilis X polyacantha's, ellisiana (potted, not in-ground yet) erinaceae ursina, humifusa (1st & oldest), polyacantha, started basilaris late Summer (the "iffyest" with our moisture & temp), standard CH chollas (acanthocarpa, echinocarp, imbricata, spinsior, whipplei). A few look OK, several -- not so good. Chollas are for deer-protection.

Sorry but I've already these plants... I'm only interested by Platyopuntias, the big of them like Undulata, Gomei...