Rooting Cacti

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
JamesEG

Rooting Cacti

Post by JamesEG »

Last week at work I noticed a few cacti that took my interest and with no money to buy any I decided to take a couple of offsets instead (with permission :P ) Each pot always has at least 3 heads so taking one small one is unnoticeable anyway, and cacti often end up getting thrown out because they rot! I think of it as a rescue...

Last week I took 6 small offsets/cuttings, 2 were Chamaecereus silvestrii and one was a small Opuntia microdasys rufida pad, but the others are unknown, there was one columnar which I know I've seen before (blueish colouration and red-brown new spines that turn white) and one that might be a Parodia, and then one that was tiny and I've never seen before, it was in a small clump.

I left them all to callous for at least a few days, and three have been callousing all week. I've now placed them all just on top of some dry compost, the same that I use for my other cacti. I'm a little worried though and I really want them to root, are they okay just resting on top of the compost? Because not all of the bottom touches the soil due to the grit. The clumping cactus offset is really small (8-10mm diameter) is there a 'limit' to how small offsets have to be to root? I'm not sure on how to root any of these cacti, I hope you can help!

Lastly, I took an Astrophytum myriostigma last year in November which was let to callous over december, I potted it in early January but once again I'm not sure on how to care for it. How long does rooting tend to take?

I hope there's not too many questions! :oops:
adetheproducer

Re: Rooting Cacti

Post by adetheproducer »

Your doing it right, I recently had a l.williamsii root in aft about 6 month sat on top of the gritty compost. The root are really starting to form and are now pulling the scion tight to the ground. Just make sure they are kept dry and have patients. once you get the start of roots forming then you can lightly mist the soil around the cacti this will stimulate more root formation but remember allow to completely dry out again before further water. You probably have very similar weather to me at the moment so its deffinatelly too cold to start water so hold off until spring, just let them sit there for now. If you do have them under lights they may start to grown earlier and obviously can get water sooner too. I have had mine in a light box made for seeds, so nice and warm about 30c with 16 hours of light using 2 X large energy saver bulbs they are pretty good and my cutting seems to be growing under that set up and has been having water mistings for about 2 weeks now.

oh yeah and small scions(cuttings) may be a little risky as they might not have enough reserves to survive long with out roots, but get it under lights nice and warm and it should set out new roots quickly.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

My sister-in-law broke up a clump of Mammillaria elongata, potted all of it she could use, left a bunch of extra cuttings laying on the window sill. She gave them to me after a few weeks, they'd already grown roots.

Most cacti root very easily.
Spence :mrgreen:
JamesEG

Post by JamesEG »

Okay, I'm giving them plenty of light and they are warm and dry so hopefully I should get some good results, thanks for the help! :D
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

No probs James, upload some pictures so we can have a nose of yoyr progress.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
JamesEG

Post by JamesEG »

I'm going to take some pictures this weekend so if they do root I will be able to see their progress :)