Heat Mat to speed up rooting?

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
coltonschultz

Heat Mat to speed up rooting?

Post by coltonschultz »

So, I have a couple of different sets of cuttings(San Pedro, Opuntia, Jelly Bean Plant) that are in the process of rooting. I just got a heating mat for germinating seeds, and I am wondering if increasing the soil temperature for my cuttings will speed up the rooting process at all. Thanks!
LophoFan

Re: Heat Mat to speed up rooting?

Post by LophoFan »

I would imagine that might just aid fungal infection. But i'm not sure, I've never had any issues getting them to root without using any added heat.
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Altho I've never used them (for rooting), bottom heat/heating pad is almost universally recommended to speed up rooting! I've finally gotten so plant "saturated", I have cuttings & offsets laying around "self" rooting w/o the inducement of soil :roll: . And yah know, everyone's that's offered that advice, i.e. they'll do it on their own, in their own time -- they're right :D
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

A bit of bottom heat is useful, especially when you're trying to root cuttings in winter! Also certain cuttings need to be really warm to start putting out roots. The plants you need should be easy enough to root no matter what you do, but you can use a heat mat if you like. :P
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog