Hormone Rooting Powders

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
CactusFanDan

Hormone Rooting Powders

Post by CactusFanDan »

So I'm looking into hormone rooting powders for future reference and I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for good brands to use. Preferably something nice and strong. :) I've previously rooted plants without it, but if I were to root anything that's perceived to be more difficult to root, then I might want to resort to hormone powders.
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
LophoFan

Re: Hormone Rooting Powders

Post by LophoFan »

You can actually get pure IBA (Indole-3-butyric acid) and mix it up yourself. 90% IBA. But that is a kind of hard route. Although it's also useful if you want to make a water soluble form and water a plant with it to stimulate root growth rather than just for cuttings.

What i use is this... Bontone Rooting Powder. It's not extremely strong, but it works great. I use this in combination with pure sulfur powder (anti-fungal). After I make a cut i make a layer of rooting hormone, then I put a layer of sulfur on it.
phil_SK

Post by phil_SK »

All the ones I've come across in the UK in recent years either contain 1% naphthaleneacetic acid or boast that they are "free from artificial hormones". As the days when they contained a fungicide (it used to be captan) are gone there isn't much of a choice.
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

phil_SK wrote:All the ones I've come across in the UK in recent years either contain 1% naphthaleneacetic acid or boast that they are "free from artificial hormones". As the days when they contained a fungicide (it used to be captan) are gone there isn't much of a choice.
Aye, that's what I've found when I've tried to look. All the good stuff seems to be in the US or other countries, so I might import some.
LophoFan wrote:You can actually get pure IBA (Indole-3-butyric acid) and mix it up yourself. 90% IBA. But that is a kind of hard route. Although it's also useful if you want to make a water soluble form and water a plant with it to stimulate root growth rather than just for cuttings.

What i use is this... Bontone Rooting Powder. It's not extremely strong, but it works great. I use this in combination with pure sulfur powder (anti-fungal). After I make a cut i make a layer of rooting hormone, then I put a layer of sulfur on it.
Certainly an option and I am somewhat tempted to get the pure hormones and mix some up for myself. I could probably 'dilute' the hormone powder in sulphur to make something with a bit of a kick. :wink:
-Dan
Happy growing!

My C&S blog
LophoFan

Post by LophoFan »

That's a great idea... make it yourself with the sulfur...

I'm stealing that idea from you! Hehe :P
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

From a similar post on the BCSS forum, apparently using a mix of IBA and NAA (1-Naphthaleneacetic acid) powder works wonders. :P It sounds a bit extreme if you ask me, but hey, might be worth trying. You could mix the two with sulphur too. :wink:
-Dan
Happy growing!

My C&S blog
CrazyPlantLady

Post by CrazyPlantLady »

My mom has a vintage container of Rootone rooting powder. It also has fungicide in it and I use it whenever I plant cuttings. I've had good luck so far.
It doesn't suck to succulent!
Diane64

Post by Diane64 »

ROOTONE!!??? I'm still using mine in the red box that I bought over ***30***YEARS AGO!!! Still works great with the fungicide in it, although
it's been stored in a super HOT garage here in the desert, all these years. I've used it a lot over the years, slowed down a bit now-a-days...lol..
You just don't need that!! TAP the excess on the side of the White Glass jar, making sure you get the excess powder back in the jar---Last 30 Years..lol :o
Thanks for bringing back some good old gardening memories :lol:
Peace, Diane
Attachments
Rootone Hormone Rooting Powder
Rootone Hormone Rooting Powder
Bonnie's plants.JPG (54.1 KiB) Viewed 3601 times