Euphorbia obesa

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
Juliska

Euphorbia obesa

Post by Juliska »

About a decade ago I purchased 2 golf ball sized Euphorbia obesa from Walmart (99 cents). They are now about 3 times the size and perfect performers. Never blemish, flower regularly, etc. I've always just liked their clean lines and classy look.

But curious. Neither has ever produced even a hint of an offset. Is there any way to stimulate this? I thought of a slight nick at the base of one and to then add a centimetre or so of soil over the wound. This sometimes works on other herbaceous plants but haven't read anything on this technique for succulents.

Any hints on producing an offset appreciated.
snarfie

Re: Euphorbia obesa

Post by snarfie »

propagation is mostly done by seeds
Young professional amateur in Schlumbergera and Rhipsalidopsis growing and hybridizing
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

snarfie wrote:propagation is mostly done by seeds
But you need to catch the seeds before they get launched far away by the exploding seed pod.
I usually stick some pieces of a sticker around the pod while the pod develops to ripeness, to prevent the seed pod breaking up and scattering the seeds so I am able to harvest them.
Juliska

Post by Juliska »

Thanks for the tips. Had no idea about the exploding seed pods. I put these outside during warm weather so any seeds would not survive unless falling into the cactus dishes.

My 2 specimens are very slow growing...that's fine as they still fit the scale of the other succulents in their dish. If I'm successful with seedlings I'll need to leave them in my will as I'm sure they would be around for decades to come.

If I see these again in the box stores, I'm going to get a few and experiment propagating with roots, cuttings, etc.
promethean_spark

Post by promethean_spark »

I get seedlings of these guys and their close relatives in random pots within 6' of them in my GH. To save seeds I dip a toothpick in glue and paint a ring of glue around the seed pod - that holds it together.
Euphorbia seed seems short lived in my experience. If you collect seed, sow them right away. The seed and seedlings are large and vigorous and don't need fancy treatment like some cacti. Just plant them 1/2" deep in a pot wherever the parents are happy and water regularly when it's warm.
coldcactusmontreal

Post by coldcactusmontreal »

I think E. obesa plants are male OR female so maybe both your plants are the same sex if you never got seeds?
Onzuka

Post by Onzuka »

coldcactusmontreal wrote:I think E. obesa plants are male OR female so maybe both your plants are the same sex if you never got seeds?
E. obesa are certainly male or female and it does take two to tango. It's not important what the flowers look like, but if both of your plants have the same flower structure, then they are the same sex and no seeds will be produced.

Steve
Juliska

Post by Juliska »

Thanks. I never even thought of this. Yes, a flip of a coin odds they could be the same gender.

If they were humans I'd assume they were two sweet, well behaved girls...never messy. Its intersting how some plants can live for a long time, inside for the winter, outside for the summer, and never have a blemish.
Tetrazole

Post by Tetrazole »

I realize that this is a little late for a reply, but last year the growth center of my 6 year old E. obesa was damaged somehow. This spring it threw out five pups - and they are blooming!
Euphorbia obesa with five pups.
Euphorbia obesa with five pups.
Euphorbia obesa DSC_5311.JPG (68.14 KiB) Viewed 6032 times
“Whenever people say, 'We mustn't be sentimental,' you can take it they are about to do something cruel. And if they add, 'We must be realistic,' they mean they are going to make money out of it.”
― Brigid Brophy
snarfie

Post by snarfie »

interesting
Young professional amateur in Schlumbergera and Rhipsalidopsis growing and hybridizing
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

I can't wait to get one of these so if and when it gets big enough to pup some of the children in the non profit growing program i run can have them and learn and study them, i have a few kids who absolutely love euphorrbias and this one would be such a great one to have in their pots especially after the tragedy that happened and most of the children's plant's all died of got severely burned and may not make it due to the damage :( maybe I'll find seeds or a reasonably priced plant somewhere of some one will donate one or some seeds too the program this year
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

KittieKAT wrote:I can't wait to get one of these so if and when it gets big enough to pup some of the children in the non profit growing program i run can have them and learn and study them, i have a few kids who absolutely love euphorrbias and this one would be such a great one to have in their pots especially after the tragedy that happened and most of the children's plant's all died of got severely burned and may not make it due to the damage :( maybe I'll find seeds or a reasonably priced plant somewhere of some one will donate one or some seeds too the program this year
I might have some Euphorbia seeds hidden in the seed pots remains. But they scatter easily. I know I have at least two little Euphorbia obesa seedlings in a pot where the seeds have been shot too. I might also have many more plants (mostly seedlings) I could send to you, along with many seeds if you are interested for only postage costs (sorry, it is international, but I can make the postage worthwhile for you, I hope). Please send me a PM if interested.
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Pm me id luv that , hope its not super expensive I'm in US