Aloe Aristata cutting?

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
emilleejoyce

Aloe Aristata cutting?

Post by emilleejoyce »

So I have this aloe aristata, which has some pitiful roots (http://cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32133) and I was just wondering, on the off chance that my aloe takes a turn for the worse, can I propagate a baby aloe from taking a leaf cutting? I read that you can't do that with aloes because they reproduce by rhizomes? But I'm not quite sure, it sounded a little fishy to me that one would not be able to propagate aloe from a leaf cutting, but I'm wondering if anyone here knows better than me.

Also, can you take cuttings in the winter if the plant is a houseplant? Or would you have to wait until spring to plant the cutting? I'm very worried about this aloe and I just want to make sure I have a backup plan because I don't want to lose this plant.
cjandjaiden

Re: Aloe Aristata cutting?

Post by cjandjaiden »

I once attempted to propagate aloe using a cutting; it did not work.
It couldve just been me...I am not doing so well at the moment with cuttings!
I have read both viewpoints on the aloe however and agree it is awfully confusing.
coltonschultz

Post by coltonschultz »

For most Aloe plants, you need to propagate from offshoots that have roots already. Try to find a pup/offshoot about 1/5 the size of the mother plant that shares the root system with the mother plant, but is not connected by leaves. Gently tear away the pup with its roots, and you can plant it in another container right away. Propagating from leaves can work, but has a much lower success rate.
promethean_spark

Post by promethean_spark »

I had an aloe get root rot last winter and hacked off the lower half, the top half rooted with no problem. I think it was Aloe ferox. I doubt a leaf cutting would work, but it would be an interesting experiment!