Help with Cuttings, Please..

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
cjandjaiden

Help with Cuttings, Please..

Post by cjandjaiden »

Hi all,

I have three Trichocereus Pachanoi cuttings, each about 12-15 inches in height, and about 3" in width.

At the advice of a successful cacti cultivator, I prepared a soil mixture in a ratio of 1-1-1 of sifted soil mixture (I used Miracle Gro Organic, sifted and only used the fine black remainder), perlite, and coarse sand.

The ends of my cactus cuttings had healed for two weeks and sat for even longer, though I am not clear on how long. I purchased these from a reputable cultivator.

I was advised to place the cuttings upright in the completely dry soil and not to water at all until they had roots. I have been monitoring for rot, just in case. Two have ends which have rotted, and I have sterilized a knife in both instances and severed off the diseased area, and re-healed (cool blow dryer for 24 hours, let rest for two weeks).

The third cutting is now showing signs of rot. Since I have been monitoring so carefully, the area affected is very small.

I have the cacti under fluorescent lighting for the past 3 days. I am now trying to encourage the cacti to root. The temperature under the light is about 75 degrees.

I need some help and advice.
Here are a few of my questions:
1. What am I doing wrong?
2. Why am I having rot issues?
3. If the soil is even slightly damp, how can I get it completely dry?
4. Can/should I leave the cuttings laying down for now in the open air under the lights? Not under the lights?
5. Are the lights a good idea?

Thank you
:?
cactushobbyman

Re: Help with Cuttings, Please..

Post by cactushobbyman »

What works for me is to take the cutting and let it set in a dry warm area for several weeks, even months. Sometimes they will start to root on their own. I place mine in pea gravel during spring time to root. In the greenhouse I'll do the same with just one part of soil and 6 parts of pea gravel. E. pachanoi do take longer to root for me. Most times 6 months to a year. What are you doing wrong? I'm guessing 1:1:1 ratio is too much. More inorganic material and less soil and perlite. Maybe leave the sand out too. If you are having winter season now, you can leave in a dry cool area until spring. Light or no light, I put mine on the bottom bench and there is not too much light. Like I said, some will start to root on their own. I would start again in spring. :D
cefalophone

Post by cefalophone »

It may be to cold to for your cuttings to root now. You can just stick them in a pot of perlite or pumice, leave them in a sunny location protected from rain, and check them in spring. They will root at their own pace. Good luck and happy growing.
cjandjaiden

Post by cjandjaiden »

So, just perlite would work better for rooting?
Assuming I have no sunny location, would artificial lighting be good for the rooting process or is complete or partial shade better?
Thanks everyone!
cefalophone

Post by cefalophone »

I like just perlite because you can easily pull out the cuttings to check for roots without damaging roots that might have emerged.

What type of artificial lighting do you have? Partial shade.should be fine.
cjandjaiden

Post by cjandjaiden »

I was going to use a single 1500 Watt CFL overhead... What do you think?
I have ordered Clonex and will prob cut and apply on Friday or Monday.
cefalophone

Post by cefalophone »

I do not know if that will be enough or not. But if your cacti start etioliating it means it is not getting enough light.
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Like CHM & Ceph - forget the light & trying to get to root, just dry it off & stick it away until April! Have done lots of San Pedro cuttings, don't think rot has every been an issue, but "soil" is only @ 20% organics.
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

cjandjaiden wrote:I was going to use a single 1500 Watt CFL overhead... What do you think?
I have ordered Clonex and will prob cut and apply on Friday or Monday.
1500 watt?!?!? That's a lot, especially for a CFL, since they have a very high output as it is. Do you mean watt-equivalent? Or 150 watts? This is still unlikely to provide enough light for an adult cactus to grow healthily. :P
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
promethean_spark

Post by promethean_spark »

I leave cuttings upright on a shelf in the garage next to the propagator until they're callused and start growing roots. They don't need any water, soil, light or hormones.

I have had the callous on cuttings grow mold if they were in a humid area - it's best if it's very dry. If there are other plants in your grow area it could easily be too humid. It could also be the cuttings rattled around against eachother and injured eachother in shipping.
cjandjaiden

Post by cjandjaiden »

Thanks everyone!!
Brandon

Post by Brandon »

In my experience with fussy cacti cuttings, the most porous media is best for rooting. I agree with the perlite advise stated earlier. If your plants aren't actively growing you shouldn't have to worry much about etiolation. For my Cereus peruvianus cuttings I allow the cut end to dry for 4 weeks. I then place them in a mix of 50/50 Perlite to well draining potting media (ex. miracle gro cactus mix). It is extremely important that the media is dry ALL the way through, not just the top half (which usually dries first). I sometimes also sterilize the media by microwaving it, which may help in ridding of rot promoting soil pathogens/fungi. I finish it all off by setting the pot on the top of the refrigerator. I find bottom heat to be very helpful in hastening the rooting process.
Best of luck, and stay patient!